Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Can I go 3 days without chewing a thing?

I am seriously contemplating doing a juice cleanse.  Three days, six juices a day.  No other foods.  Sounds miserable.  Sounds intriguing.

It's expensive.  Ultimately, that's probably the only reason I won't do it. 

A friend of mine did the three day, no food cleanse.  The concept interested me.  I've done personal food challenges before.  Remember the Clean Eating Challenge?  Although I eat everything again now, I have definitely altered my thinking about food since doing that challenge.  I think more about the "from the earth" concept. 

But now I'm feeling like I might be ready  for another challenge.  A different one.  The Catalyst Cleanse website talks about the effect that drinking juices, and not having to chew and break down your food, has on your body -- it's like giving it a break from the hard work.  And I suppose vacations are usually expensive, right?  To spend $60 per day on these juices hits the pocket hard -- and makes me have to truly weigh whether it's something I should do... 

Or maybe I should just go clean, vegan again.  And still get to chew everyday.  Chewing burns calories, so it can't  be that wrong! 

Have you ever juiced?  Ever do a cleanse?  Thoughts? 

2 comments:

Aimee said...

But for the cost, I would try that...

Paul said...

My feeling is that there is no evidence that juice fasting does anything.

Chewing is work, yes. But so is thinking. Is my brain going to get better by doing nothing? No.

If I don't use my muscles, they don't benefit ..they atrophy. In general, I think your body needs to do the things it was evolved to do. And eating nothing but juice was not something that it could have done 10,000 years ago.

A wide variety of minimally processed foods, yes. But nothing but XYZ food for a long time. Hmm. Not sure about that.

Cheers!
paul