Monday, January 28, 2013

Snow, Sleet, Swimming (NOT!), and a Saying

Once upon a time, it was a cold, wet, dreary day.  It started as a little snow, then turned to freezing rain, then just straight rain as I left work.  I planned a legs-rest day, so I made my way over to the pool.  I'm glad I remembered how to get there, seeing how I haven't swam in about three whole weeks. 

I passed right by the sign on the locker room door that said
Pool and Spa
Closed
because I was pretty certain I'd seen someone swimming out of the corner of my eye on my way to the lockers.  (The pool is in its own room, with windows out to the treadmill, etc. area.)  Another guy was also heading into the pool area, and I asked him if there was a sign in their locker room about the pool being closed.  He said nope, and sure enough there was someone in the pool.  Hmm. 

I couldn't imagine why the pool would be closed -- they just redid the whole thing last winter/spring.  But sure enough, the guy I walked in with, who got in the pool and immediately got back out, confirmed that, in fact, the heater must be broken.  I got in, determined to make this swim happen. 

And then I got right back out.  I've done this before -- tried to swim in the pool when the heater's broken -- but today I just couldn't make it happen.  It was too cold.  So I left the gym, ticked about the timing because I could've gotten to a yoga class at the yoga studio if it was 20 minutes earlier. 

So what did I do?  I went food shopping.  I did situps and pushups at my house.  I took a long, hot shower, and I thought about a clever saying I need for myself...

We are putting our picture and a saying/quote/etc. that we like/that relates to us/etc. on the running store's website and I got this email from the manager today:

I'll get pictures tomorrow night and let me know a clever saying to include with your pic

But I'm not clever!  I don't know what to say!  One person is using, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."  Another is playing off of Robert Frost's Miles to go before I sleep lines of that poem.  A third is using, "I sell smiles." 
I may just steal my dad's quote that I've sort of adopted for my own life:      
Earn Your Shower (every day)

That is, unless you can suggest something better?  Give me your ideas! 

1 comment:

Alison said...

I love earn your shower - I'm going to remember that one!