Saturday, January 12, 2013

Progress!

NOT with my running, that's for sure.  12.5 miles today were not comfortable.  But they got done!  And I did them at the shore.  Although my run wasn't great today, I did enjoy taking in all the progress that's happening to restore the area. 

Superstorm Sandy devastated my hometown.  I grew up on a barrier island in New Jersey.  Long Beach Island, to be exact.  My parents still live in the house where I grew up.  They live on the ocean road that parallels the beach.  Our house isn't on the dunes, it is opposite them, facing the dunes and the beach.  Luckily, despite the severe tides and devastation of the dunes elsewhere, my parents' house sustained practically no damage.  (That's thanks to the beach replenishment of the Army Corps of Engineers last winter.)

Today, you can see the work being done to restore those dunes.  I'm hoping to enjoy many days of sunshine and fun with my nieces and nephews on this beach and in this ocean next summer.

My mom's little summer cottage, built by her grandfather in 1927, wasn't so lucky.  It is about a mile from my parents' house and flooding destroyed the entire first floor.  That was heartbreaking.  Today, though, my mom told me the permits for the reconstruction have been approved and the contractor (a family friend) can start the work. 
I also got to see progress at my brother's store.  That business is his family's only source of income, and the storm destroyed the entire store.  There had been almost 5 feet of flood water in there, tipping over refridgeration units and ruining most of the contents of the store.  Devastating, to say the least. 

Today, though, after a ton of hard work and countless aid from volunteers and lots of help from organizations and friends and family, my brother was able to open his store with a small offering to his customers.  The rebuild isn't done, and the store is far from ready to officially re-open with a full offering, but they are (with the health inspector's approval) ok to get things going.  Amazing, and so important for the rebuilding of this community.  Huge thanks to this company and relief organization:
Jetty (a local surf company) and Waves for Water have been an amazing help to my brother and sister-in-law.  And the help is still coming.  Thank you to them.

So as I ran today, I struggled with how I felt, but I was happy all the same.  Progress is being made on my island, and that makes me feel good. 

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Good update for me. Thanks!