Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fun race memories


Last night I was thinking about some of my favorite races...  in no particular order...

Broad Street Run.  May 2011. 






Awesome race.  Got locked in and just sailed down Broad Street in Philadelphia.  I felt good and ran well and was really happy with the day.  (I'm in the green top.)




I ran two legs of 8.5 miles each.  I was on a team of 5 girls, and my times were amongst the strongest of our runners.  As the oldest on the team, I was happy about that! 

I had to run the first leg at about 8:15pm and the second leg at about 2am.  That second leg was SPOOKY.  And it really felt unsafe.  But the whole experience was super fun, and we WON our division! 







 
Great Urban Race.  NYC.  August 2009.




I hope Maria is ok with this pic -- I chose it because it shows just ONE of the super fun parts of this day, and it's tough to see our faces so we aren't identifiable.

This was like a one-day Amazing Race in NYC.  Follow clues, complete tasks, do some running, have a BLAST.  We were team SOLARPOWERED and it was one of the best days in my running experiences! 







LBI 18 Mile Run. October 2009.   



The link above the picture actually takes you to something that I wrote about my first 18 Mile Run.  The first time I ran it (2006), and this 2009 race, were my best ones.  I've written about the LBI 18 Miler a lot (you can search the posts) and I think this race, the 2009 one, was an important race for me because I trained well AND ran well -- an up to that point I wasn't good at that in distance races. 

(Note -- for those of you who have read my blog for a while, I did not link to the post about this particular race because there is a picture of G, the craigslist guy, included in that post.  Anyone can see it if you search for that post, but I didn't want it linked here.)





Outer Banks Half Marathon.  November 2009. 




What a FUN weekend.  A ton of friends, a huge, amazing house, and a
surprise PR. 












7 Mile Bridge Run.  Marathon, FL Keys.  April, 2011.


It was a HUGE production just to be one of the lucky few to get to run this race, but what a day!  Such a cool, unique race to have done.  And, after all the calf problems I'd been having, this was a great run to get back in the game! 







There are so many others I could add -- my first ever trail race in Colorado this past summer, my great races at the Philly Distance Run, the Urban Wildland Half Marathon that I did with my Minnesota friends when I skipped across the country, my first marathon (not a great day, but a great accomplishment), my first race EVER, my PR marathon in Philly this past November, and more. 

I think I need to do a whole post just on the different marathons I've run.  This is fun to think about and look back on these experiences!  You should try it, too! 

No comments: