Friday, January 25, 2013

Adizero Tempo Shoe Review

406 miles and counting....

Years ago I broke up with my orthotics and started just running in mild stability shoes.  For a while it was the Saucony Guide, then I fell in love with the Brooks Ravenna.  The Ravenna has been my go-to shoe for a long while now -- it's the shoe I've worn for at least the past 3 marathons I've run and most of the races I've done in the past 3 years. 

But last summer our Adidas rep asked me to try this shoe.  The Adizero Tempo 5.  And I loved it. 

This shoe is lightweight (about 7.3 ounces) and just slightly narrow.  It fits true to size (I generally wear an 8 for my running shoes -- about a .5 size bigger than I measure), and the laces are long enough to let me lock-lace them (the key to a secure fit!) AND double knot them.  There is a mild post to the shoe, so I still get the stability help I need, and yet they aren't clunky like some posted shoes feel.  Since they are (in my mind) less shoe than the Ravenna, I feel lighter on my feet.  I wore them for the run in sprint tri I did this summer, and I wear them normally on regular runs, even up to 12-14 miles.  I have worn them for an 18 miler, and I remember thinking I might not want to wear them for a longer run since they are less cushioned, but I may re-experiment with that as I get into my next race training round. 

The best part about them?  I wore them on my 7 miler yesterday, putting the total miles on this pair at over 400+ miles.  Normally I get great mileage out of the Ravenna -- easily 350+ miles -- before I've worn out the soles and I feel like I need to replace them.  It's only one of the reasons I love the Ravenna.  But on my run today, with more than 400 miles on my Tempo's, my legs were fine.  I can see the tread is getting worn on them, but there's still life left in this pair.  And while I'm lucky to get my running shoes for cost or even for free sometimes, I like the idea of my shoes lasting longer before having to be replaced. 

I still love my Ravenna, and I still wear them often, but these days I'm LOVING my Tempo's. 

So if you're a mild overpronator, and you like a lightweight, mild stability shoe, try the Adizero Tempo.  You might just surprise yourself, too, and become an adidas wearer! 


What's your go-to shoe? 

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Lock-lace, posted.... You are speaking a language I don't know. Nor do I know what shoe I wear. And I've only ever worn whatever they are. And I've had what, like 12 pairs of them? Asiscs is all I know, and truth be told, I had to think for a few minutes before I remembered that. Yep, shoe details are not my thing. Loyalty to my shoes, though....that I have!