Saturday, January 26, 2013

Snow, Sleep, and a Long, Slow Run

We got some snow last night that actually stuck!  It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to cover cars and the roads and make driving tough.  And even though I am powered by the sunshine and generally don't like the freezing cold and lots of snow, I can admit it was kind of pretty. 

I worked at the running store right after work at school yesterday, and then went out for a friend's birthday.  By the time I got home, I was so exhausted I went right to bed. 
I love my bed, but I really think it's time I get a new mattress.  I'm not a good sleeper at.all., and although I flip my mattress often, I've had this one for a while and it's losing its comfy-ness.  (I think I just made that word up.)

After letting myself sleep in a bit, I got out for my long run of the week.  The footing was tough because of the snow, but it wasn't icy so the run actually went well.  I kept it at a slow pace -- which I haven't been great at lately -- and by about mile 6 I was starting to enjoy it.  I decided to make it an 11 miler, but misjudged the route I took and it ended up being a 12 miler.  Whatev -- these days I'm just running what I want until I start training again. 

So now I'm headed to the shore for a big fundraiser for the organization that's been helping so many people affected by Sandy.  More to come on that tomorrow! 


Thoughts on running in the snow?  Like it?  Hate it? 

4 comments:

Alison said...

New mattress - totally worth it! I am not a great sleeper either, and I know how important it is to be comfortable!

Aimee said...

I thought I didn't mind running in snowy conditions, but I'm realizing I enjoy my runs more when I don't have to be concerned about slipping and breaking my neck. Even one little inch of snow can have ice under it and that just drives me nuts.

Anonymous said...

Stumbled on your blog, Fun!!
Reminds,me of my former self...yeah, i USED to be a very particular sleeper, THEN ....i birthed a,wonderful child!
Ha!!! Sleep!! NOW i can sleep ANYWHERE!!!

I love your day, work at school, work at the shop, out socializing, Yummy!! i am glad you posted, as it brings back wondrful memories!

solarpowered said...

Thanks for saying hi -- though as anonymous, I don't know to whom I'm saying hello back! :)