Sunday, March 20, 2011

Clean Eating Challenge -- two week recap and the first day of Spring

For the past two weeks -- 14 days -- I've eaten only vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans.  For the first few days I used skim milk and a raspberry viniagrette, but by the 3rd or 4th day, I stopped that as well.  I've used soy sauce, but no other condiments.  I've switched to almond milk.  I have not had:
*any meats -- no chicken, beef, fish
*any added sugar, other than that from natural sources such as fruit, honey, agave nectar, molasses -- so no white sugar at all.
*any bread.  I did try two bites of the Irish soda bread that my sister made on St. Pat's, but that's it.
*any pasta.
*any dairy.  No cheese, yogurt, etc., at all, and no milk since day 3, when I stopped the skim milk. 

The only drinks I've had are water, some 100% OJ (though pasturized), and two cups of herbal tea -- sweetened with agave nectar.  I did break this, though, on two occasions:  a few beers on St. Pat's and a few beers last night at the running store's anniversary party.  The first time, my stomach wasn't happy at all.  After last night, my stomach was ok, but my head hurt terribly. 

I'm rarely bothered by what I can't eat these days.  I've had some moments of really wanting cheese, or coffee, or the yummy dinner my sister made the other night -- but those moments don't really bug me, and they don't really last.

I've lost about 6-7 pounds, and anywhere from a half inch to an inch in places on my body.  People keep asking how I feel, and I'm conflicted about that.  If I weren't so stuffed up with a sore throat and head cold last week, I think I'd have a better handle on things.  I think I feel normal, actually. 

But I do know that my running the past few days has been weak.  And that's one of the reasons I think I need to add some stuff back in.  It could, honestly, have more to do with the time of the month, but I feel like some things I want to reintroduce, anyway, so maybe they'll help, too. 

I think I'm going to add some whole grain bread back in.  That's what I eat normally, anyway, so that won't be tough.  I also will probably add some chicken.  I like chicken. 

I miss coffee.  I don't need it -- and I only have one cup on days I drink it -- so it wouldn't kill me if I never have it again, but I like it in the mornings.  I'll experiment with what I put in it, though -- because I'm going to stay strong with limiting the added sugar in my diet. 

I also miss the greek yogurt I started to like, and my Turkey Hill fat free frozen yogurt.  I'll probably add those in sparingly.  I like my Kashi cereal, so I want that, too. 

And as I write all this, I have a small nervousness about adding any of it.  Right now, I'm planning on a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow, and I've made a salad of mixed greens/veggies/chick peas/walnuts with  balsamic vinegar and olive oil for lunch...

***********************************************************************************************************
Today is the first day of Spring.  I drove to the beach with my sister and her family and got to run along the coast.  It was a bit chilly and windy but sunny, and it was a good, quick, run.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Great job on your challenge. It's been fun listening to what you've been eating. I do think it would be interesting for you to go a whole month and then evaluate how you feel. I wonder what might be "missing," if anything, nutrient-wise???