Sunday, March 27, 2011

"You were like Forrest Gump!"

What a weekend of running! 

I started out on my long run later Friday afternoon, and almost right away realized I was going to be cold.  But, I really just felt like r u n n i n g so I kept going.  About 8 miles in, I stopped at my sister's where I had stashed a small bottle of water and a banana.  Ate half the banana and a couple swigs of water, grabbed my gloves and kept running.  And running.  And running.  I kept the pace slow and easy and after 13 miles decided to add a couple more on.  I kept running.  By mile 14, I headed toward home.  I was losing energy by mile 15, and after 16 miles I was freezing and hungry and it was getting dark, so I decided to stop. 

I haven't run 16 miles since the marathon last May.  I just wanted to run on Friday and keep going.  I wanted to remind myself I can run long.  It was a good run. 

Saturday morning I did 4 easy miles before heading to work at the running store.  Then, this morning, I wanted to keep running.  So I headed over the bridge to the city to run around the Art Museum loop on Kelly Drive.  I love driving up the Ben Franklin Parkway with all the flags flying and the museum up ahead.
I set out up the Kelly Drive side of the loop and questioned my attire.  Again, like both runs the past two days, a cold wind blew through me and chilled me.  But there were lots of people out and lots of stuff to see along the run today, and as I made my way past one of my favorite parts of the run, this big rock,
I grinned a bit.  It's been a long time since I've run over here because of the time off last fall, and I love running this path!  The river was jammin' with dozens of crew teams assembled for a regatta.  There were other runners and cyclists and in-line skaters (people still do that?) on the path.  The skies were clear and blue and sunny.  The wind was at my back on the second half of the run so I wasn't as cold.  As much as I was feeling good and could've kept going, I decided to play it safe for my leg and call it a day after 8 miles. 

28 miles in 3 days.  I stretched, wore my compression socks, and was careful to rehydrate and refuel well after all 3 runs.  Tonight, I feel good.  I feel like my running is getting solid again.  It's been a long time coming.

Last night I went out to dinner with friends.  I told them about my run Friday night, and one of them replied with, "You were like Forrest Gump!  You just kept running and running and running!"  I giggled at that, but it really does sum up my weekend.  I just wanted to keep running.  I didn't care about pace, and I kept it comfortable.  I just wanted to run. 

*********************************************************************************************************
Thanks to RFTL, Aimee, Jen, Charisa, Maria, and HRG for your comments on my last post.  I'll keep writing entries here even if no one reads them because I like to have a record of my life -- but it is nice to know people are checking in here every so often! 

Maria -- I'll check out that recipe!  While I'm not officially still doing the clean/vegan eating challenge, I haven't fully added everything back into my diet yet.  I had pan seared flounder last night, and I did have some coffee this weekend -- and while I tried it with just almond milk (nah) and just the non-dairy vanilla creamer (eh), it wasn't good until I put a little sugar in it.  So, my time of not eating added sugar is officially done.  I will allow myself a small teaspoon of sugar in my coffee, but I'm not planning on adding it elsewhere just yet. 

On that note, here's what I made for dinner tonight: Tofu Veggie Quiche from the savvyvegetarian site. 
I tweaked the recipe a bit (added some mushrooms and omitted the sauce but added a couple things in its place) and it was pretty good. Oh - and I also made the crust with all whole wheat flour and a Smart Balance vegan spread.  Next time I make it, though, I'll use less parsley (too overpowering!) and play with the "sauce" a bit more to adjust the flavors.  It was perfect with a side of melon and grapes, but it would be yummy with a small side salad, too.   Leftovers for the next couple days! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo. What a great few days for you. It's great seeing you back.

Aimee said...

Yay for lots of running! Nice to have you back to "normal" (in terms of running, anyway! Ha!)