Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Clean Eating Challenge -- Day 2

Today was Fat Tuesday.  Coworkers brought donuts, soft pretzels, cupcakes, and more.  I ate none of that. I did fixate a bit on all that stuff, though.  I struggled with what snacks and foods I could eat, and how much more work it seems to be to eat this way. 

But I once I left work I felt better -- more in control -- and I got some good ideas as I wandered around the produce section of the grocery store.  It helps that I feel a bit better today than I did yesterday (no headache, not as tired).  So far, so good.  Here's what I ate today:
  • breakfast -- same smoothie as yesterday (frozen strawberries and blueberries, a banana, handful of walnuts, about 3/4 cup of skim milk, and some spinach)  and a few of the homemade potato chips, just because they were that good. 
  • snack -- half an apple and a handful of baby carrots
  • lunch -- leftover brown rice and stir fry veggies
  • snack -- a small banana, a handful of the baked edamame
  • dinner -- chunks of tomato, avocado and cucumber, tossed with black beans and a touch of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Yum! 
  • dessert -- handful of cantalope chunks
  • drinks -- tons and tons of water, plus two swigs of 100% OJ
I also got out for a decent run in my new shoes.  Brooks Ravenna 2.  Love the bright blue laces! 
Man, was I overdue for those.  I ran after work, and as I started my run, I realized I had planned on running a speedwork workout at the track.  Hmm.  Ok, so today's run became a tempo run.  I was a little slower on the tempo miles than I'd have liked, but it was decent overall. 

So Day 2 is in the books.  I feel good about it.  And the best part?  Realizing that I can have popcorn for a snack!!!  Yeah!  It occured to me that if I air-pop the popcorn, it's just corn!  A little olive oil and a touch of salt, and I'm good to go!  Bring on tomorrow! 

1 comment:

Maggs said...

I make my own microwave popcorn. A brown lunch sack, 1/3 cup of kernels, little bit of olive oil, salt. Shake it up, fold the bag over and pop. It takes a while to figure out how long to pop it, but once you do, it's so easy. If you like spice, soak the kernels in jalapeno pepper juice, drain, add a very small bit of oil and salt if you like then pop. So good. I'm going to have some now.