Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Clean Eating Challenge -- Day 3. Popcorn!

I felt good today.  It might be psychological, but I felt healthier.  I felt like I was breathing cleaner.  That was in between trips to the bathroom.  I'm drinking LOTS of water these days.  More than I usually do.  My coworkers are starting to wonder if I have a kidney problem. 

Here's what I ate today:
  • breakfast -- smoothie (same as past two days.  Tomorrow I try almond milk instead of the skim milk.  More on that later.)
  • snack -- one empire apple
  • lunch -- the last of the veggie stir fry over brown rice.  I made a big batch the other night!
  • snack -- this is pre- and post-run snacking:  small bowl of cantalope chunks, a handful of the baked edamame, the last few potato chips. 
  • dinner -- mixed greens salad, with avocado and tomato chunks, chick peas, and chopped walnuts.  Small amount of olive oil/balsamic vinegar for dressing. 
                     And a bowl of popcorn!  Just a little olive oil (for the popping) and salt.  Yum!
  • dessert -- nothing, really.  I did have one apple slice when I was making my lunch for tomorrow. 
  • LOTS and LOTS of water.
I ran 8 miles today after work, through the hilly part of town, with my sister.  It wasn't the easiest run through the first few miles.  I just felt sort of sluggish.  I felt a bit better by the end of the run, but I could tell something's off.  Must be my body resetting/reacting.  Nothing terrible, and I'm guessing that will diminish the longer into this challenge I go.

So now, 3 days done.  I'm certain I haven't lost any weight, which is what people keep saying will happen, and I want my body to feel strong enough through my runs, but other than that, this is getting a little easier each day.  I even decided to extend the challenge beyond this work week -- I'm planning on carrying it through the weekend, so that I've eaten this way for at least one whole week. 

*******************************************************************************
I'm going to add a section at the end of posts.  Inspired by Hungry Runner Girl.  This is where I'll put random stuff that's in my head that doesn't apply to the rest of the post, or any questions/comments that the 3 whole people who read this blog may ask/comment about. 

*Alison suggested I try almond milk instead of skim.  Hi, btw!  Yes -- I'd like to try this.  I've been hesitant for one main reason -- I don't know all the ingredients listed on the carton.  I'm guessing it's all natural stuff, but I have to look into this further.  I'm not against having animal products in my diet normally, so I'm totally comfortable with just using skim, but for this challenge I will now be using almond milk. 

*I'd like to find some sort of cookie I can make.  I'm going to look at the sweet potato cookie recipe that Maggs sent me to see if I can somehow make it fit into this challenge's parameters.  I haven't made them in a bit, so I have to dig out the recipe. 

*Have you ever attempted a "jump start" or "cleaning" or "detox" of this sort?  What did yours look like?  How did it affect you? 

3 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Make your own if your worried about the stuff you bought (though if it's a solid organic brand, it should be good). http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-101-homemade-almond-milk/

In my opinion (!!), homogenized, pasteurized, non-grass feed (almost ALL milk, even organic is grain fed) is REALLY, REALLY bad for you. I grew up with milk cows, so I know what real milk tastes like--that stuff you buy in the store is not right. Once, again, my opinion. I haven't had a glass of store milk since my parents sold their dairy cows when I was around 12. I actually don't think humans drinking breast milk from a cow is at all normal or needed...

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Your eating experiment is interesting. I definitely couldn't do it! :-) But it's fun watching you do it!

Alison said...

You can make your own almond milk (I've seen it done), but that's waaaaayyyy more of a challenge than I could take on!