Monday, March 14, 2011

Clean Eating -- Day 8. Razorblades In My Throat.

I'm forcing a rest day today.  I haven't taken a complete rest day in just shy of 3 weeks -- on my off days from running I've been swimming or biking -- and with my throat feeling like there are razorblades in it and my energy low because I'm not sleeping (because of my throat), I figured it would be smart to give my body some rest.   And as I say that, I'm a little embarrassed because my volume of training is so minimal compared to others.  Well, anyway, a rest day it is.  I napped for a short bit when I got home from work, and then I did all sorts of house stuff -- taking out the recycling, cleaning out my old handbag and putting stuff in the new one, emptying the dishwasher, etc...  
(As an aside, how many other people carry a tennis ball and a GU in their handbag at all times?)

When I got up this morning I made a cup of decaf herbal tea.  First drink other than water and a little oj since the challenge started.  I just really felt like a hot tea might make my throat feel better.  I put a little blue agave in it and it was pretty good!  My throat still hurts this evening, but the tea was good enough that I had another cup later in the day.  Here's how the rest of the food played out:

*breakfast -- smoothie
*lunch -- bowl of the veggie stew from last night.  Some pineapple chunks.  One of the cookies I made.
*snack -- popcorn and an apple.
*dinner -- haven't had it yet, but I'm going to try for some salad.  I feel like I need some raw veggies.  Probably mixed greens/chick peas/carrots/tomato/avocado/walnuts with some balsamic/olive oil on top.  We'll see how well that works.
*dessert -- will likely be one or two of those cookies. 

I'm off to the running store tonight to hear a talk on hydration and fueling in the summer heat.  Since my body hates runnning in the heat, I'll see if they have anything new for me to consider. 

**************************************************************************************************************************
Stats from the first week:  My weight fluctuates a couple of pounds through the course of the day every day.  Weighing myself in the morning before I get dressed for work, it looks like I might be down about 5 pounds.  I've lost about one inch in my boobs (yay!) and around a half inch in other places like my waist, hips/butt, thighs.  One of the reasons I've decided to continue the clean eating is to drop a few more pounds, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not.  Ideally, if I could lose about 5 more and then hover there, I'll be happy.  It's not race weight (that would be 3 more) but it's where I'm most comfortable.

Jen -- thanks for asking -- my calf is doing well!  I've been babying it with compression and stretching after each run, and my super slow return to any quality running probably helped, as well. 

As another aside, it was one year ago today that the craigslist stuff started... 

1 comment:

Maria said...

Hope you get over the sickies quickly! Great job on the progress thus far, but more importantly to feeling good and that you're making the best decisions for your body!