Thursday, March 10, 2011

Clean Eating Challenge -- Day 4. I want a cookie.

The idea of eating from the earth is becoming not such a big deal anymore.  Yes, I still have to get creative with my meals, etc., but it's a matter of what should I have, rather than what can't I have.  Snacks aren't a big deal either -- popcorn, almonds, fruit, carrots, etc.  What I'm missing, though, is the bread/baked stuff.  Cookies.  Cereal. 

I need to find a cookie recipe that I can make this weekend.  Any ideas, anyone? 

I didn't run today -- it was a scheduled swim day -- and so I can't really comment on my energy level with my workout.  All day I felt good, so that's a good thing.  I did feel good in the swim, too, but it was cut a little short because of squeezing it in between work and a hair appointment, AND fighting with my new goggles.  I think the real test will be my longer run this weekend.  I have to figure out what to eat before the run... 

So here's what I ate today:

*breakfast -- same smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, spinach, walnuts, banana) but with almond milk instead of skim milk.  It was delicious!  Creamier.  Good.
*lunch -- mixed greens and spinach with apples, grapes, avocado and walnuts. About 2 Tbs of raspberry viniagrette dressing. Cantalope chunks for dessert.
*snacks -- banana and a handful of almonds (pre-swim), popcorn (post-swim)
*dinner -- one grilled portabella mushroom (seasoned with just a little olive oil), a small handful of grilled red pepper strips, leftover cucumber/tomato/avocado/black beans mix (seasoned with a little salt and pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar).
Yeah, that portabella doesn't look so great in this pic, but it was delicious! 

*dessert -- couple handfuls of popcorn and a couple juicy strawberries and half an apple.

And now I'm feeling a weird combination of being so tired I can't keep my eyes open (truth: I just fell asleep writing this post) and being a little hungry.  I shouldn't be hungry, 'cause I just ate a couple hours ago, but I sort of feel like I'm always hungry.  I'm just going to go to bed and ignore it, I think.  A cookie or a bowl of cereal would make me feel better, though. 

**********************************************************************************************************************
Jen - thanks for your perspective on the cow's milk.  When you put it that way, yeah -- I can see why you don't drink it.  While my almond milk says it's vegan, I'm not sure what some of the ingredients are, so I need to research that.   At least now, for the remainder of my current challenge, I'm now completely animal-free. 

Who has some good recipes?  Send them my way, please! 

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I'm super impressed that you are on day 4 of this challenge. Great job. Your food choices look/sound appealing, but man, I think I'd be eating way more. Not that the challenge was specifically for weight loss, but just out of curiosity I'd love to know how much weight you dropped at the completion of your challenge week.