Sunday, March 13, 2011

Clean Eating Challenge -- Day 6 & 7. Not Enough Water.

I'm fully engulfed in a head cold now.  Grr.  My nose is red and stuffy, my throat hurts, and there's some sort of ringing in my ear.  Fabulous.

After running an easy 5 miler with my sister yesterday morning, I worked at the running store all day.  We were so busy I never had time to eat and I barely had much water.  I got about 10 free minutes late in the day, so at that point I ate an apple.  I was hungry when I got done, so I ate more for dinner than I should have.  Here's the breakdown:

*breakfast -- smoothie.  I'm loving it with the almond milk, but I'm in desperate need of a new blender.
*lunch -- one apple and a handful of almonds
*dinner -- the salad I had made for my lunch -- mixed greens/spinach, chick peas, tomato, carrots, avocado, walnuts.  Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Then I had a small bowl (1/2 cup?) of brown rice with peas, seasoned with soy sauce.  I cut up a pineapple and ate a few chunks while I did, and then I had some popcorn, too.  Sheesh. 

Not.enough.water.today. 

Went to bed with my cold raging.  Saturday night, and I think I was asleep before 10:30pm.  Sooo dehydrated when I woke up.

Sunday's eats:
*breakfast -- smoothie

Then I spent an hour in the grocery store, pouring over the produce and organic foods sections.  Got some good recipes to try today and some good food stocked up. 

*snack -- rest of the brown rice/peas (about 1/4 cup)

Then I went for a 6 mile run.  With my head super heavy, it wasn't that easy, but I ran on a trail near my house for most of it and really enjoyed that part. 

*post-run snack/lunch -- pineapple and popcorn.  And one of the yummy cookies I made this afternoon:

I got this recipe from the internet, but I can't seem to locate which site I found it on.  Rats.  I'll have to dig more tomorrow.  They are made with oats/molasses/whole wheat pastry flour/cinnamon/baking powder/vanilla/raisins.  With all those ingredients, I feel like I'm cheating a bit.  The cookies are good, but I have what I think is a simpler (cleaner?) recipe to try later in the week.  I'll keep you posted!

*dinner -- After a brief rest on my deck chair with my face in the (warm) sun (but cool temps!), I set about making the veggie stew I found on this blog.  It was delicious!!!
Lots of veggies, lentils, and quinoa made this a thick, rich stew.  I do feel like I got away from the "raw-ness" of what I've been eating, but everything in this and the cookie recipe is as close to clean as I could go.  With my sore throat, having a stew was way more appealing than another salad...

*dessert -- another cookie and a couple pineapple chunks. 

Not.enough.water.  Again today.  I'm actually looking forward to going back to work tomorrow just to increase my water intake.  Maybe lots of water will flush this head cold/sore throat out of my system.

*********************************************************************************************************************
Aimee asked about my weight.  I've been keeping stats on my weight and some body measurement since Day 1.  Tomorrow, after 7 full days on this challenge, I'll post some of the differences. 

I do plan on continuing this eating challenge for one more week.  I feel like 5 days/7 days isn't enough to really reset things.  The only thing is St. Patrick's Day is this Thursday and I'm planning on meeting friends at a bar after work.  And, the running store's anniversary party is next Saturday, so I'll have to see what those two days will bring.  As of now, I'm thinking I'll keep up the eating, but I might enjoy a beer or two :)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

You're doing an amazing job with this revision in your eating habits. Enjoy a beer or two on St. Pats if you want to. Don't, if you don't. . Cleaning up your eating is fabulous, but you don't want to feel deprived while continuing your challenge..... And no more hugging my boys until you're no longer sick!! ;-)

Jen Jones said...

LOVE you food lately! Yay for vegans and happy animals everywhere :)

How's your calf doing these days?