Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's coming back (shh -- don't talk about it!)

I ran 8 miles today, with 5 tempo miles in the middle.  I've been doing speed stuff on Tuesdays the past several weeks now.  Today, I planned on aiming for about 8 minute pace for the tempo miles, but I had the 7:50-55 pace in the back of my head from my last marathon training plan. 

It was super windy, and I stayed conservative on the first tempo mile.  But despite that, my first two tempo miles were right around the 8 minute pace, and the next three were in the 7:55-50 range.  I slowed down for the last mile and made my way home.  Good run.  The running might just be coming back.  But don't say anything -- I really don't want to jinx it!

I ate an entire bowl of popcorn and a wheat pita stuffed with avocado and tomato slices.  Changed my clothes and then headed to 90 minutes of hot yoga.  The room got up to 100* tonight, and I was SWEATY!  Problem is, I didn't rehydrate enough after my run and my salty sweat was pouring into my eyes through the whole class.  Ouch!  But the concentrated, meditative stretching was awesome anyway. 

I'm pretty psyched my legs are working and my running is getting solid again.  I've been thinking a lot about what it took to get me here, and I'll post about that later.  I've learned some really important stuff about returning from injury. 

Have you ever had an injury that sidelined you?  How did you make your return? 

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my gosh - coming back from injury can be so tough! A couple of years ago I suffered a pretty catastrophic injury (don't ask how... I'm clumsy!) and shattered by left elbow (I now have new one) and tore my ACL. After a couple months of being depressed about it, I slowly climbed out of that hole and started being active again, slowly. Later that year I decided to scare myself back into shape, so I signed up for Ironman Arizona! I trained hard, and swam almost as fast as I ever had, rode faster than ever, and my run was pretty slow but I was happy anyway seeing as less than two years before that I couldn't even walk without crunches. So I learned you can do it, you just need to be determined (having a goal helps me) and patient. Best wishes to your comeback!

Maggs said...

shoots, I come back from an injury about every other year. Just take your time and cherish little victories

Anonymous said...

so glad i found your blog! so inspirational!

xoxo