Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm how old? Juice! and Back in the Saddle...

Seriously, I think I forgot how old I was this weekend.  I was on a bender.  I went out with friends and drank like I was in college.  What was I thinking?!?!?!  Really, it was all fun -- Thursday's Hash, Friday out with local friends, Saturday bowling in the city and then meeting up with local friends afterwards.  TOO much drinking for my own good, but what the hell. Life's short. I don't do this very often. 

So after my weekend of imbibing and no running to save my calves from serious damage, I revisited the idea of a juice cleanse.  I was in dire need of cleansing my body.  With recovery time in the morning a necessity (not from a hangover, really, but from going to bed at like 4am), and then work in the afternoon, I did not get to the store to start a juice fast today.  However, I did some thinking and planning, and this is what I've decided to do...

I don't have a juicer.  I fully understand that pre-packaged juices are not as healthy as doing it myself, but I want to do this while it's in my head and while my body really needs it.  I also don't want to buy a juicer until I borrow a friend's (which is in the works) and know that I'll actually use it.  

I've read about the pasteurization killing some of the nutrients, etc, and I know there's a lot of natural sugars (although you may be able to make out the "no sugar added" notation on the Naked juices.)  I completely get that a juice cleanse/fast using packaged juices won't give me the same wholesome effects that I could get from something like the Catalyst Cleanse that a friend did, or by juicing myself. 

But I don't care.  I'm going to do it.  Tomorrow.  I only bought enough juices for one+ day, and I know most cleanses are a minimum of 3, but I don't want to do 3 days of packaged juices.  I'll evaluate things tomorrow, and decide from there what I want to do. 

Honestly, I like food too much to see a complete juice fast through -- especially one that I know isn't the best I can do -- but I'm intrigued by the idea, and now's a good time to do it while I've decreased my running for this week. 

I'll report back about it tomorrow.

And now, I'm heading upstairs to the bike trainer.  Wish me luck -- I haven't been on the trainer since last winter, and I haven't been on my bike since sometime in the late fall...   

No comments: