Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 2 of No Chewing!

Ok - I did it.  Made it through the second day of my version of a juice cleanse.  (By the way, I'm going with the cleanse term -- a search of various resources suggest a variety of explanations for the different terms.) 

I woke up without the headache I had been struggling with, and feeling waaaaaay better than I had Day 1.  I can totally do this for one more day.  I made my hot water/lemon/agave to take to work, and when I got there, I had my first juice. 

I had 2 Nakeds and one Bolthouse Farms bottle for the day.  I decided to have the mighty mango for breakfast.
The juice definitely had more of a sweetness to it than the others that I had on Day 1.  I'm a sweets fan, but this one may actually have been a bit too much.  It was smooth, and it was tasty, but it wasn't a favorite of mine.  I will say, though, that it tasted lighter than some of the others.

I again drank lots of water with lemon through the day (let me just say that as a teacher, this is tough -- I can't run to the bathroom whenever I need to, so drinking lots of water comes with its challenges!), and I was hungry, but not uncomfortable, by the time my lunch period arrived.  I had the Bolthouse Green Goodness, and it was definitely not as good as the Naked green machine.  This one did not have the right balance of fruit and greens.  I looked around at what my coworkers were eating and I REALLY wanted food.  It wasn't that I was overly hungry -- by the time I was done the juice bottle I wasn't hungry anymore.  But I really wanted a turkey sandwich or my veggie wrap or a salad.  Hell, I really wanted the Sun Chips that were on the table next to mine!  I knew I was going to finish out the day with the juices, but it was tough getting through that lunch period.

By about 1:30 I was ready for the next juice, so the orange carrot was calling my name.  I was actually looking forward to this one, because I really like carrots.  It was smooth, like the rest, with a definite carrot taste.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be.  Like the mango one, though, this one tasted light -- which I liked. 

I was able to get a good 5 mile run done when I got home, and that made me happy.  I didn't feel a lack of energy (I was nervous I would after 2 days of juice and reduced calorie intake), AND my calf was fine.  Yay!

I was going to the hot yoga class about an hour after my run, so I knew I needed some calories and hydration.  Up to this point, those three juices had only given me 800 calories, and my run probably killed about half of those.  I didn't have any more juices since I'd planned on doing one of my fruit+spinach smoothies for "dinner," so I heated up some vegetable broth and sipped on a mug of that.  Not many calories, but it hit the spot. 

Yoga class went ok, and I had my smoothie for dinner.  This wasn't a juice, but it was very healthy and still something I had to drink -- frozen strawberries, blueberries, spinach, a banana, small handful of walnuts, and almond milk all blended with some ice.  Delish! 

As I headed to bed, I realized that while I don't feel a major difference, I do feel better than I had.  I felt cleaner, if that makes sense -- and ultimately that's what I needed. What's also interesting is that my skin feels a little softer.  Or maybe I'm making that up -- but I don't think so.  I did lose a few pounds, but I'm sure that's just temporary. 

I do want to try real juicing one of these days, but for now I'm planning on some real food that I have to chew for my lunch today.  I had a smoothie for breakfast, and I'll have veggie broth with some peas/carrots/green beans/corn in it for lunch.  Start back nice and easy. 
 
Good experiment, but I'm ready for food I can chew! 


1 comment:

Aimee said...

Jeez. That would be a drastic reduction of calories for me. I eat way too much at night. Hmmmm.