Monday, February 25, 2013

Mental Health Days, and I'm becoming a napper...

I took a "sick" day today.  Really, it was a mental health day.  This has been a super frustrating year for me, and my weekends sometimes do not provide enough of a walk-away-from-it respite.  I was feeling burnt last week, but because of the lessons I was doing with my kids, I couldn't really take a day -- my kids needed me to be there and I didn't want to mess up the plans. 

I decided yesterday evening that I needed that day.  I needed to step away for a day, I needed to take a break.  I always feel guilty taking a day off from work, and I don't do it often.  But when I woke up this morning and had the day to take care of me, I was glad I made it happen.

I got a 10 mile run done -- it was only supposed to be 8, then it turned into 9, and by the time I was back at my house it was close to 9.5 so I looped my development a little to make it an even 10.  Really, I toyed with the idea of going for 15 or more, just because -- but I didn't. 

I graded some papers (I know -- not the point of a day off!), I had some lunch, and then I napped.  I never used to nap, but in the past 2 years I've become somewhat of a napper.  I'm not a great night sleeper, so a 20 minute (or 90 minute on a day like today) nap has become a popular thing for me.  It works -- after my nap, I can get out for a run or get some errands done or do whatever I still have to do in my day and not feel exhausted. 

So that was my mental health day.  Physical good stuff, and a break from the daily frustrations.  Tomorrow is a new day. 

No comments: