Sunday, February 17, 2013

Getting Sandy

I tried to do this post from my iphone yesterday, but the pictures weren't uploading.  SO, that means I missed a daily post for the first time since Jan. 1.  Oh well.  My self-imposed pressure to post every.single.day. now is off. 

Yesterday morning was the "Let's Get Sandy!  Run for a Cause" 5k race on LBI.  I was asked back in early November to help a couple young, local LBI girls who wanted to host a race to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Superstorm Sandy.  I became their mentor and guided them through the logistics and planning and execution of this inaugural race.  It was fun.

The day was cold and blustery, and I had to meet the girls at 7am before all the volunteers and runners showed up for the 9am start.  We got the packet pickup tables set up, the day-of registration ready, and soon enough the runners started arriving.  I was shivering well before the start of the race, despite being all layered up.  But as I watched the nearly 400 runners line up at the start and then run by, I was warmed by the thought of the good that this race day would bring to people just like my brother -- those who are still working to rebuild from the storm. 
The event raised over $20,000 and everyone involved commented that the race was fantastic (except for the wind -- which we had no control over!).  It was great to see all the runners so happy and appreciative and accomplished.  Although I was frozen to the core for much of the rest of the day, I was thrilled to be a part of this event.  It was a huge undertaking, and a huge success! 

2 comments:

Aimee said...

That is awesome. Would like to have been there! Yay you for being such a big part of it!

Jen S. said...

I ran that race. Well done! LOVE the comfy shirts.