Thursday, October 2, 2008

solar power...

I woke up this morning with my head cold raging. Thought I had kicked it before it really got going, but apparently, I was wrong. My eyes were heavy, my head was heavy, and I wasn't sure how I'd make it through the work day.

A bunch of oj, some airborne, some cold meds. I didn't fall asleep at work. Now if I could just get through my run....

The plan was for about 8 miles, with the middle 6 at MP. Technically, my MP will be about 9 mins per mile. I'm hoping to PR at my 18 mile race next weekend, and my current PR is 2:44:xx - so just over 9mpm. I'm still trying to break 4 hours in the marathon, with my current PR at 4:08:xx. In my last marathon training, my training had me with about an 8:45 pace for MP, so that 9mpm in the race would feel easier. Today, I planned on hitting those 6 MP miles at no slower than 8:45.

I drove over to Philly and ran the Art Museum loop. It's an 8.56mile loop, and it was a sunny, clear, cool, but windy, afternoon. I started well, although a touch too fast, and as I approached the first mile, I settled into a rhythm. Along the loop, there are markers every 1/4 mile, and I used these to check my pace as I ran. One of these days I'll get one of those Garmin things so my pace is easier to monitor...

I ended up feeling pretty good as I ran, and my first couple MP miles were too fast. I tried to slow down, to get the MP feel, but I was running comfortably and just never got the pace to the 8:45 range. Late in the run I decided to run 7 at MP and then go a little extra for the full cool-down mile. Here are my splits:

m1 9:20
m2 8:20 yikes! too fast! slow down!
m3 8:31 better, but not slow enough
m4 8:35 getting there
m5 8:36 not there yet, but comfortable
m6 8:32 oops, this is too easy today
m7 8:16 bug in ear! bug in ear! freaking out! running fast! seriously, it's buzzing in there!!!
m8 8:07 is that bug still in my ear?!!! I'm freaked! Finish strong!!!
m9.1 9:43 take it slow here ...

So, overall, a MP run that I ran waaay faster than planned. I did the same thing with a similar workout before the marathon last spring. Today, I reminded myself that while this is a confidence booster now, I'll need to reign myself in at the start of the race next weekend and hold a steadier, closer to MP pace, so that new PR is in the books. :)

Funny thing is, my head is lighter and my cold has subsided.

Ahhh, the power of the sunshine and fresh air...

2 comments:

Maggs said...

When I start to get sick I go for a good run, it either cures me or pushes me over the edge. I figure the sooner I get sick, the sooner I can get healthy.

Nice job on the run!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Nice! 18 miles sounds like a fun race distance. Can't wait to see how it goes!