Friday, October 24, 2008

Papa

My maternal grandfather was a Marine. He served in WWII. I called him Papa, and I only knew him for a few short years. He died of a massive heart attack when I was 8 years old.

He was the coolest. I remember swimming in the ocean with him. I remember the smell of his cigars. I remember walking around the block at the shore house to go get fresh, homemade banana ice cream. Yum. I remember always laughing and being happy around him. And I remember the one and only time he got cross with my sister and I -- because of something with my little brother.

I miss him. I feel like I was robbed. I often wonder what my life would have been like had he lived longer and been more of an influence in my world.

I stopped at his grave on my way home from work today. I do that from time to time. It is marked with a small stone, with his name, U.S. Marine Corps, and his birth and death dates. I talked to him for a moment, and asked him to look over me on Sunday -- to be there with me and remind me to take it all in, look around and thank the men and women in uniform, enjoy the day.

No rush, no pressure. That's my mantra for Sunday. I will be thinking about my Papa, I will be thinking about my friend FXC (also a former Marine), and I will be taking it all in. I've been feeling less than healthy all week, and I'm not expecting a fast time. I'm not planning on it. I'm not thinking about my time.

Run with me on Sunday, Papa. I'll be thinking about you.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Good luck Lora! I'm glad you are just running to enjoy the day and be with your Papa. I think that's what you need. Are the 2 people traveling with you family members?

Maria said...

Go Lora Go!!! Soak in the experience w/Papa.

Dog Mom said...

What a wonderful story! Live every step of the race Sunday. Be strong and enjoy it with a very special Marine by your side.

Antoinette said...

I'm too late to wish you good luck (you're already through the 10K now), but I hope you're out there enjoying the experience!

Aimee said...

Umm, ok, I was curious and just read the few most recent entries. Wow. Amazing. Really powerful. Show mom if you haven't already. (Cue tears) So glad you had a great day.