Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Motivation

I wanted to post yesterday, but I never took a moment. I was busy at work, busy after work, wanted to correspond with a friend who just ran her first marathon ;) , and since it was a rest day, I didn't have any running to report anyway...

Today I really started getting focused on the race this coming Sunday.
I'm thinking about what I'll wear.
I'm thinking about what my race plan will be.
I'm thinking about my current weight.
I'm thinking about past years at this race --what worked and what didn't.
I'm thinking about my running this week.
I'm thinking about reaching the finish line:

I have a whole bunch of friends running marathons this weekend -- many in Chicago -- and I'm thinking about them, too. We all work so hard, train so diligently, track the weather and hope for the perfect running day.

Truth is, we can plan what we'll wear (orange tank, black shorts, orange-red shoes), plan out the race execution (more on that another time), try our best to be at a good race weight (I'm currently hovering right around 120lbs.), use past race experiences in our plan, taper well, and visualize success. We can do all that, and be totally prepared, and the day could still go awry.

I'm doing all I can this week to stay positive, to be prepared, to be mentally strong, physically strong, and ready to go. I'm not focusing on what could go wrong -- I'm focusing on what I can control, what can go well. It's easier said than done, for sure. I remember the rough races, I remember how things can work against our best plans. But I'm preparing to be ready. I'm preparing to be strong. I'm preparing to run smart and run well. I'm preparing to reach the north end of the island, 18 miles after starting, running with my head up and my heart knowing I've done my best.

I want this. I'm motivated to do this. I can do it.

6 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You can do it! And look great while your at it in your orange and black! Is there a link to the site with runner tracking? Is it Saturday or Sunday?

solarpowered said...

RFTL - no tracking (it's really just a local, hometown race -- even though about 1000 people run it). The race is Sunday. :)

Maria said...

You can and will do wonderfully!! I feel the past year has been huge for you in learning more about your running, toughing it through adverse conditions and growing stronger through all of it. Visual success, it's yours!!!

p.s. did I tell you I bought a pair of "Lora shorts" last week? They're supa sweet!!!

phdatc said...

Wonderful energy!! You will be successful no matter what.

KP said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing how phenomenal you did this weekend. You're gonna kick ass ans totally set yourself up for huge success at MCM.

Dan said...

Go get 'em Lora! My fingers are crossed for a nice southeasterly breeze on Oct 19. We'll be celebrating birthday/christening so I'll be sending good mental vibes while I'm in church (it's a rare event for me to cross the church's threshold).
Say hey to Bayshore Rd for me when you go by!
This race IS on my list of things to do.