Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Miscellaneous thoughts...

Sometimes when I'm running, my thoughts are zeroed in on one thing. Something that's been bothering me, something I need to take care of at work, something that's consuming my thoughts.

I like those days, those runs, because it's a quiet time to work it all out. Or try to, anyway.

Sometimes when I'm running, my thoughts are all over the place. That's what happened today.

I wasn't sure what I was going to run. I set out to do 5 miles with a bunch of strides at the end. Then I thought I'd add a cool-down mile after. Then I decided I'll do a MP run tomorrow, so I'll just keep today's run easy. At that point, I changed the route I was running. All of this thinking covered the first mile and a half of my run.

Then I was thinking about Maria's comment in reference to my power red shoes. Green is her power color. She wears it, in some form, for all her races. I like that. I wish I had adopted a power color. I tend to decide that my power color is whatever color my shoes are that are working for me at that time. I've always heard that red is a power color, and while I don't own or wear much red, my current shoes are working for me. The shoes I've been wearing are Brooks Glycerin 6's.


They sort of look orangey-red (and this photo really brings out the orange). In reality, they are supposed to be red, and for now, they are my power red shoes.

After spending a good bit of time thinking about power colors, my thoughts drifted from my constant pull to live in Southern California (I have thought about that for years, and something happened this week that reminded me of that desire), to house stuff, to weekend plans, to counting my steps.

Does anyone else do this? Count your steps? I find myself doing that a lot. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. repeat. repeat again. I'm not sure why I do it, but it's almost like a metronome, ticking away my steps and the miles.

As I finished my run, I was thinking about food. I was hungry. No surprise there. I'm always eating.

So today was a miscellaneous run, filled with miscellaneous thoughts.

4 comments:

Maggs said...

haha. When I get done running I can never remember what I thought about. I guess that's why running is so mind clearing for me!

sneakersister said...

Red is a great color! It's always been my color.

I have to say that no, I don't count my steps. I've thought about it but it's too monotonous for me. I think it would be a great focus strategy though.

Maria said...

I love knowing there are others that think and think and think along a run but get home and can't remember a dang thing. That's me too!!!

solarpowered said...

Oh, believe me, there are, absolutely, runs where I'm not thinking about anything, or I can't recall what I thought about for the last hour or so. I like those runs, too :)