Thursday, April 29, 2010

Headed to Illinois

I get on a plane this afternoon to fly to Chicago, where I will meet up with Maria and fly to Champaign. We'll meet up with Cindi tomorrow, and then we'll all line up for the 26.2 mile run we've been training for on Saturday morning.

I met with my coach last night, and we briefly talked race plans. I'm not going to post them here now, but I'll reflect on them afterwards. D gave me a hug and said we'll talk Friday. I couldn't thank him enough for all his help. (And, actually, I'm still struggling with an appropriate thank you gift for him...)

Last fall D trained me well for my half marathon and 18 mile race. I ran strong, I ran confident. I know he has trained me well for this race, so with each flutter of nerves I'm feeling, I'm reminding myself I ran really well in that 18 miler, so I can do this. I ran really well in my two 21 milers in this training, so I can do this. I had a rough 15 miler two weeks ago, which I was due to have and was a result of stress in my life, so I can do this because the rough run already happened.

I want to line up on Saturday remembering all this.
I want to line up on Saturday feeling confident that I can run the paces D set for me. He wouldn't tell me to run them if he didn't think I could.
I want to line up on Saturday and enjoy the day, finish strong, and make D proud.

I really don't care what my finish time is, because my ultimate goal is to run what D set for me. If I do that, I'll be happy with my time.

Important finish times can be a goal for another race. They don't have to be a goal for this one.

I can do this.
I want to do this.
I can do this.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I will remind you of all of this stuff right before the gun goes off Saturday morning! Yipee - it's finally here!

Aimee said...

Wooohoooo!!!!!! Take a deep breath and just run.... it's going to be a great day!!!!

Mindi said...

Yay - you are running IL as I read this - I hope you are feeling strong and having a wonderful time with Maria and Cindi!

Can't wait to hear about it!