Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chapter Three... Something's Fishy

Through all of this, I still had to somehow get myself to work (which now included starting the softball season that I coach, making my work days even longer), AND continue my training for my marathon. I was drowning.

Monday the 29th, G called me late in the evening and told me his house had been broken into that day.

WHAT?!

You ok? What was stolen? He was ok -- he had already talked with the police. They only took his old computer (the one he uses for social stuff on the internet, etc) and an old digital camera. They didn't take your bikes? (He's training for IMLP) They didn't take anything else? Nope.

In my head, this seemed weird to me. I mean, think of all your friends. Have you ever had two friends have crimes commited against them in a matter of two weeks? I haven't. Seemed weird, but I had no idea at the time just HOW weird...

Two days later, on Wednesday, the detective on my case called me and told me the IP address that the craigslist ad was posted from belongs to my friend, G.

Holy Shit.

I learned that this doesn't necessarily prove that G did it, although it would take someone with a strong technical knowledge to have hacked into G's address and posted the ad. The detective explained about open internet connections, router logs, and lots more. He and I decided that he would speak with G, rather than me doing it. I told him at this point I don't know what I can believe from G.

G's response to the detective was "There's no way it could be me," which struck the detective as odd. I could tell the detective was pretty convinced it was G that posted the ad, and as much as all the arrows pointed that way (G was wanting to spend lots and lots of time with me, it was his IP address, he often talked negatively about C to me, the "stolen" computer, etc), I wasn't ready to accept it yet. I needed proof, or someone to admit to doing it.

G called me after talking with the police, but I didn't want to speak with him. He denied, denied, denied having anything to do with this. I told him I couldn't talk with him right now. I don't know what to think, what to say, who to believe.

I had been filling C in on everything each step of the way, and called him immediately to talk with him about this latest development. I was comforted in knowing he wanted to be in the loop and wanted me to keep pursuing this. Until we found out it was G's address, that is. Then C seemed to pull back a bit. He and G had been friends for more than 10 years. I know this was a blow to C. I was upset he was pulling away, but I couldn’t do anything about it.

C and I agreed it would be better to not tell anyone that G was connected to this just yet. Since we didn't have all the answers, we didn't want to bring his name into it. Keeping this secret from our friends added to my stress. I was able to let some outside friends know what was happening, but since they didn't know C, and really wouldn't have known to connect him to me in the craigslist ad, I was able to feel reasonably certain that they weren't involved. However, I was constantly in a state of wondering who I could trust, and what to believe. With everyone.

I was leaving Friday for the Florida Keys to stay with my family for the week, but there was something I had to take care of first. G had planned with my dad to stay at my parents' house in the Keys for a few days while I was there. (G is a doctor, and was helping my dad with his knee issues.) I wrote G an email (I was keeping all interactions with him written, thinking that would be important) and told him that under the circumstances, I would appreciate it if he would make other arrangements. Having him stay at my parents' house would be uncomfortable. He eventually responded that he would not be flying down. He again denied having anything to do with this, he was freaked out and upset by all this, hopefully we can talk. I didn't respond, and didn't have any contact with him the whole time I was away.

While in Florida, I touched base with the detective, and was reassured he’d be speaking with G again and moving forward in the investigation. I tried to enjoy my time on vacation, but knowing that things at home weren't yet resolved made feeling good in Florida difficult. I met up with a mutual friend down there, and found out that G made up a story about why he couldn't come down. I also spoke with C and found out that G was going about his life like nothing was going on -- they were all going out for beers like usual, etc. This really started to eat away at me. It bothered me that C was part of that, though he said he was hoping to get G to say something about it all. It bothered me that G never told anyone about his break-in. It bothered me that G was now lying to other people about this. I was feeling more and more weighing me down.

G, someone who was my friend -- and in my world every day -- may be the person who caused all this turmoil, destruction, deceit in my world, and he gets to live life like normal. I can't, but he can. Unfair.

2 comments:

Dan said...

damn...i am breathless and speechless

Mindi said...

I too am speechless. What a horrible ordeal you have been going through. F*ck G and C. But good for you for moving forward. Hold your head up and don't feel bad for making the right decisions. It sounds like both of these men are trying to take control of the situation - your situation. Don't let them.