Friday, April 23, 2010

Chapter Two... Going to the Police

These phone calls were creepy. Unsettling. The men talked about meeting me. They talked about my voice. They talked about wanting phone sex and other things. It made me uncomfortable, to say the least. Since the calls were continuing Monday morning, I had no choice but to get my phone number changed. I did that Monday afternoon, and Tuesday I called the police. I gave them the information and then had to wait several days before a detective was assigned to the case. That was frustrating. My head was swirling, and I didn’t know what to think. In the meantime, I told all my friends what was happening. The guys and friends at the running store, people at work, my family. Told all of them that I went to the police.


C supported my decision to go to the police, as did all my friends. My friend G and I went for a run and talked about what was happening. G is also someone I've mentioned here before. We speculated on who could have done this. It HAD to be someone who knows us. MY name, MY cell number, C's name all included in the ad.


Over the next week or so, things fell apart with C and I. (My stress on this stuff contributed, but it was C's decision that things change between us. I wasn't happy about it. It added to my stress, though it never made me question whether he had anything to do with the ad. I never believed he did.) During that week, I questioned who I could trust, who I could believe, what to think. There was just too much here for this to be a random person posting the ad. Too much coincidence. I knew it had to have been someone I knew.


G and I continued to go on runs together, and I continued to meet the guys out for beers, though things were definitely not the same. The situation was always part of our conversation. And I was always watching people's actions, listening to their words, seeing their reactions. I went through more than 2 weeks feeling like my social world was crumbling around me. (Truth is, that is something I’m still dealing with, even now.)


It is a defeating feeling to have your trust of your friends compromised and, essentially, stripped from you.

1 comment:

Maggs said...

Wow. I really am so sorry this all happened to you.