Thursday, April 15, 2010

I felt prepared.

Last Sunday was my last 20+ miler before the race. Fresh off the plane from the Keys, I wasn't sure how my legs would fare. Turns out, I didn't need to worry.

I headed over to Philly to run the same route I had done for my last 21 miler. This time, though, I was doing it alone. I wanted it that way.

I parked and headed out. Plan was 10 easy first, and though they were a bit faster than I should have run them, I was comfortable and things felt good.

By the time I headed onto the trail, I had about 5ish miles left at easy pace before I was to crank it down to MP for the next 10 miles. I took a gel at about 7 ish miles (maybe just before) and peeled off my Voodoo cheetah print arm sleeves.

By the time I was starting the MP miles, it was just about time to turn around and head back to Boathouse Row. Those MP miles ticked on by, and I was feeling pretty comfortable. I took another gel around mile 13.5/14, and kept on going. One thing I know is that I need to get better at keeping the right pace; more specifically, feeling MP and staying there. I was often running faster than MP, and I had to keep checking myself. That often meant my pace was all over -- too fast at one point so I slow down, then I realize I was too slow so I speed up, etc. I ended up in the right range throughout, but I have to get better at that.

So with one last gel around mile 18.5ish, I finished out the last two MP miles and got ready to finish the run with mile 21 at an easy pace. As I got there, I was realizing how great D has trained me. How prepared I feel I am for this. I hit mile 20 faster than I ever had before -- in under 3 hours -- and I felt fine. I'm actually in awe of how good D is at training me. I'm still working on the mental part, but my body/legs feel prepared.

I didn't slow down completely to easy pace for mile 21, but I did back off MP. I knew I could have kept going. I felt good at the end of 21 miles, with half at MP, and that was amazing.

In that moment, on that day, after those miles, I felt prepared.

5 comments:

Maggs said...

You are prepared. That's how it's all supposed to come together. Nice job!

Maria said...

You are THERE! Right where you need and want to be. I'm so very excited for you!!!!

Fantastic execution and what a great boost for our taper.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Your training has been rock solid this time around. You have what has been missing from your previous cycles - confidence! You are super ready for this!

Joe said...

I echo all the others - your training sounds like it's been spot on and you're as prepared as you can be. What a great feeling going into taper - I can't wait to hear how you do

Aimee said...

I'm soooooo excited for your race. Wish I could be there to celebrate with you at the finish!!!