Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Yasso 800's (or, maybe, 798's)...

I set out to do my 10x800's later this afternooon. I was tired, and my left ankle's been bothering me, and realistically it's probably a couple days further away from the race than ideal to do this workout. But, with big rain moving in for the next several days, and a 20 miler this weekend, today was the day to get it done.

I ran a slow 1.8ish to the track and started the loops. Here are my times (I jogged a slow 400m between each 800):
3:40, 3:44, 3:44, 3:40, 3:42, 3:41, 3:43, 3:44, 3:44, 3:36 (I then ran the 1.8ish back home)
A bit faster than I planned. I wanted them all to be under 3:55. So, I'm pleased. It was (dare I say it?!) easier than it should have been. Which got me thinking...

I measured this track with my bike computer a while back. One loop was .25 mile. But I remember my friend (VERY knowledgeable running guy) mentioning that it may be a touch short. So now I've g-mapped it. Based on that, one loop measures .247 miles. Which makes my 800's a bit short -- by a meter or two.

Overall, that doesn't bother me. Adding a couple/3 or so strides to each lap would've covered the distance. That may have added a second or three to my splits. Which would mean they were all still under 3:50.

I'm not going to stress about the track measurement. It's not a significant difference to greatly alter my splits or how I felt running the laps. I think my ankle held me back a little bit, but not much. Total miles was somewhere around 10.8 miles. I ran the workout well, and when I did my 8x800's a couple weeks ago, my splits were slightly slower (same track). That's good news.

No comments: