Sunday, September 28, 2008

Running in the rain...

When I started my 20 miler this morning, it was a drizzly, humid, gray morning. Snuggling in bed would have been a great way to spend the morning, but I had miles to run. Got up early, had what is becoming a good pre-long run breakfast, and set out for my last long run before the 18 mile race in two weeks.

Met up with my sister after the first mile and ran the next 9 miles together. This was a good thing in the sense that I had company for part of my run, but a bad thing, too, because she doesn't EVER pay attention to pace. I wanted to keep this run a long, slow one, so I had to keep pulling her back a bit. Turns out we were only slightly ahead of the pace I wanted to be running. She headed for home at my mile 10, and I went on to do the second half on my own.

I was A LOT smarter about my fueling and hydration today. My last 20 (supposed to be 22) miler ended up a disaster because of the heat and humidity. Today wasn't as hot, but it was disgustingly humid. I drank my water, used my enlyten strips, and took a couple gels at good intervals today, and the run ended up going very well. I am kicking myself a little, though, because miles 11-20 were a bit faster than they should have been. I was just running comfortably and didn't realize I was running the pace I was....

When I was just about done, I decided to tack one more mile on -- more for the mental effect than anything else -- and finished with 21.1 miles. I definitely could've gone a few more. My ankle held up and was barely an issue. I was SOAKED to the core after more than 3 hours in the rain/mist/humidity, but I felt good about getting this solid run done.

I like my sunshine, but it's fun running in the rain sometimes. :)

3 comments:

KP said...

Nice work! It's amazing what a difference good in-run nutrition makes. Good to know you're getting things dialed in for MCM.

Maria said...

That run was just what you needed... great work Lora!!!

Dan said...

You crack me up.

Sounds like the little bit of rest is what you needed. Especially considering the super busy schedule you have coming up...and, uh, just had.
You're note about: Honestly, I'm not sure I'm trained well right now to PR at any of these races.
You're base training sounds to be really great. Better than previous years? I think you're ready to kick some serious tail!
And no fretting about a few fast miles thrown into the LR. If anything, it's a good confidence boost that you can turn it up when needed. Throw a good taper in there and enjoy the ride!

Go get 'em!