Thursday, September 25, 2008

I stopped.

For the first time since one day last year when I was sick, I started a run and then stopped and turned for home.

I had a short run on the schedule for today -- take it easy, just shake out the legs from last night's speedwork. Problem is, my left ankle's been bothering me this week; actually, it's been bothering me since sometime last weekend. No sharp pains, but rather a bruised sort of feel on the inside of my ankle, by the bone that sticks out.

I set out for my short run, deciding I'll just take it slow and look forward to resting the ankle tomorrow on my scheduled day off. Well, I got about 100 yards from home and turned around. Considered stopping and then reconsidered and turned again and began running again. And stopped. Started. Stopped again.

If I stop and rest it today, I can see how it feels tomorrow and maybe make up the run then. Or, rest it two days and get it ready for the LR this weekend. Or, I could just gut it out for a few easy miles. But it hurts with EVERY step. I should rest it. Agh, I could gut it out.

And so my internal conversation went. For about two minutes. I realized that if every step was hurting, that can't be good. It felt sore while walking, but not the pain I felt with each running step. I turned and made my way back home. Sure I could have made it 3 or so miles, but to what good? Better to skip the 3 and try to heal the ankle than aggravate it more. Right? RIGHT?!

Grrr....

5 comments:

Maggs said...

you did the right thing...and probably the harder thing. I hope your ankle feels better soon!

KP said...

Yes, you did the right thing.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

For sure. A 3 mile run wouldn't make a bit of difference for someone as fit as you are. So skipping it to let the ankle heal is a good thing. Don't beat yourself up over it. Rest!

phdatc said...

Right!!!

Maria said...

Try to relax, you did the right thing. You got a quality workout in and if you rest will probably have no problems on your LR. Feel better!!!