Monday, January 31, 2011

Nowhere to run...

Whoa.  Busy week.  I'm tired, and I should have been in bed an hour ago to try to make up some sleep.  So here's my week in pictures instead:
I had a sweaty but good 8 mile run early in the week
 
because I knew more snow was on its way.
The roads were are bad -- no shoulders, no sidewalks clear.  Nowhere to (safely) run.
 
So mid-week I hopped on the trainer for an hour-long session. 
I told myself to stay riding through an hour of Oprah.  I rode easy through most of it, but during every commercial break I put it in a tougher gear and rode harder.  Then I went to an awesome 90 minute hot yoga class.  Om. 

The end of the week brought my first treadmill run since last winter.  I hate the treadmill.  I hate running on it, but with news of a woman in Delaware getting struck and killed by a plow while walking (running?) in the street, I knew I had to play it safer.  I survived, though I didn't enjoy those 5 miles at all.  But I did hop into the pool for a short swim afterwards. 

The weekend was a busy one.  I took a quick trip to the shore to get a solid 12 miler done without worrying about safety in the snowy streets.  Roads are a bit clearer there, and I got to see my nephew's basketball game for a bit.  Oh, and some super fun Roxie playing time, too! 

We moved the running store to its new location across the street, so I was working there for a bit Saturday night.  Then an easy 3 miler with my sister Sunday morning and I was off to NYC to celebrate a friend's birthday.  Lunch at Carmine's -- YUM, but so full! --
and then a walk up to the Gershwin Theater to see
It was good, but I'm soooooooo not a movie-goer.  I know this wasn't a movie, but the concept is similar.  Putting me in a dark theater where I have to sit still for hours at a time while I know it's sunny outside just makes me want the show to hurry up and be finished.  It was good, though. 

After the long day in the city and the long train ride home, I got to the store at about 9pm and worked until after 10:30pm.  Needless to say, when I got up this morning, I was in need of much more sleep.   

Unfortunately, I'm ridiculously professional about going to work, so I threw on one of my easy dresses and poured a big cup of coffee to get me through the day. 
I'm not sure if I look sort of perky or just beyond tired here, but somehow I got out for a solid run after work and had one of those runs where I just could have kept going for-ev-er.  7 cool, crisp, comfortable miles done, while dodging snow piles the whole way. 

A pleasant surprise after a long, busy week, with nowhere to run.

No comments: