Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Return to the Hills

Tonight was the first group run from the new store.  My sister and I decided to do the run, which worked well for me today because my head was brewing a serious headache as I left work.  I was able to take my migraine meds and even catch a little nap before the run.  By the time I picked A up, my head was fine and I was looking forward to the nighttime run. 

This was going to be the first time I did some real hilly running since last summer.  I wasn't sure I'd make all the hills, so my sister and I decided we might cut out one of the steeper ones.  By the time we got out of the flat part and started toward the hilly part of town, A was thinking about her run tomorrow and even said she'd be ok with cutting the run short.  My legs were feeling ok, so I said I wanted to keep going, but it's ok if she turned back.  She didn't, so on we went. 

We ended up not cutting short any part of the course.  At about mile 4, we picked up one of the older (faster!) guys and chatted with him the rest of the way.  While we got a little wet from the puddles and had to watch our footing once or twice with the snowy, slippery slush, the temps were warmer and the run was good.

And when we finished, my calf was ok.  A teensy, tiny bit feeling the hills and faster pace, but overall ok.  It was a solid run, and a good feeling to return to the hills. 

1 comment:

Maria said...

So jealous of your and A's runs together, nice work!