Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I GOT IN!!!!!



The 7 Mile Bridge Run in the Florida Keys! 

It took a LOT of coordination -- all applications are through a PO Box, so no Fedex or emailing or online registration.  It's a really popular race, and only the first 1500 complete, correctly-done, paid applications are accepted.  The race usually fills up in less than 2 days. 

Living in NJ, I was pretty screwed.

Until I enlisted the help of some friends.  First Jen (she lives in Florida) was willing help -- thanks! -- but then I realized my friend TH was actually IN the Keys and would have a better shot at getting my app taken care of in one day. 

I had to send a request for the app (with a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope) and then wait until Tuesday, February 8th when ALL the apps would be mailed out together.  I had included a Fedex express envelope for the app to get to TH by first thing Wednesday morning.  In the meantime, I had sent a package to TH with my registration info (as best as I could guess they'd ask), a blank check for the registration fee, and a postage paid envelope for him to return the app. 

Here's the thing:  He lives within a few miles of the post office where the PO Box for the race is, so he simply delivered the app to the post office and put it in a special box they had prepared for these immediate apps.  He said there were about 50 apps ahead of mine -- and that was at noon the day after the apps were mailed out!  Whoa!

I felt confident I'd get in, but I still couldn't wait to see my check clear at the bank or get word my app had been accepted.  I didn't want to book flights (I'll stay at my parents' rental house) or anything until it was definite. 

Today, my check cleared. 
Today, I booked my flight.

Today, I also closed on my refinance of my mortgage -- but that's a whole other story. 
Today, I have a race in my future that I'm excited about. 

By the afternoon of Thursday, February 10th, the race closed.  And,
I got in! 

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Ohhhhh - looks super fun. Lots of people and what an amazing experience it will be to run across that bridge. Fun! Very happy that you have a race in place and can plan now.

baggio16 said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm doing a race on Marathon in two weeks. I can't wait!

Aimee said...

Might baggio16's race be the Sombrero Beach Run 5 or 10k? Cool!

Congrats on getting in, Lora. I know how much this meant to you! It will be such a fun experience!!!

Anonymous said...

Git in as well, registration was open only for 9 minutes before 1500 people signed in. I am Sooooooo looking forward to it.,


Best regards