Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleep Deprived

I didn't even check, but I'm sure I have at least one or thirteen posts about this topic already.  I'm not a good sleeper.  I like my sleep, and I try to sleep, but I'm not good at it.  Falling asleep isn't usually my problem.  It's that I wake up throughout the night and often am so awake at that point that I start to wish it was time to get up and go to work.   I'm tired.  I want to sleep more.  I just can't. 

This weekend I had plenty of opportunities to get catch up.  That's how things usually work.  I try to get at least one weekend morning that I don't have to get out of bed for anything right away.  I can usually catch up on some sleep that way.  Somehow, despite having two days to do that, I still didn't catch up.  As I sit here writing this, my eyes are heavy and I want to be comfy in my bed closing my eyes.  It's 5pm.  If I actually went to bed now -- or at 8pm for that matter -- I'd be wide awake at midnight, desperately trying to fall back to sleep, then giving up and just wishing it was 5:30am. 

Before anyone suggests it, yes, I've tried sleep aids -- tylenol PM, benadryl, even ambien.  I do yoga.  My room is dark.  It's not about falling asleep for me, it's staying asleep. 

These days there's major construction happening right outside my development.  Right in front of my house. 
While they aren't working on the road through the night, they do have a generator or something that's on the whole time.  I think it's keeping the spotlight on.  It's loud.  My windows are closed, and I still hear it all night long.  Not so loud that it's intrusive, but loud enough for me to know it's there.  They're going to be working on the sewer/road work for the next week or more.  Although it's winter and cold out, I'm seriously considering getting my fan out for some white noise for the next few nights. 

And on another note -- one that I'm trying to ignore by making a post all about my non-sleeping -- my left calf is being cranky again.  I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing -- this has been happening every few weeks -- but I'm getting really tired of having to wonder if I'll ever feel like my leg is 100% again.  It's disheartening to think it may not... 

Perhaps the thought of that is what's subconsciously keeping me up these days. 

2 comments:

Maggs said...

I have problems falling asleep. Especially if I'm worried about getting up early. But once I'm asleep I'm fine. I learned to only take a book into my bedroom. No TV. No computer. And I make it really dark (sometimes wear an eye mask). Then I just think about relaxing and falling asleep. Doesn't work quite as well as Ambien. But it does work. Sometimes I take Melatonin and I think that helps me stay asleep once I get there.

hope your leg is okay. Injuries can definitely be stressors that impact sleep.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I have sleep issues too. With falling asleep when too much is on my mind. I've fixed that by "unplugging" from my iphone and computer by 8:30/9:00 and calming my mind. The other issue I had (and sometimes still do) is like you: getting back to sleep when I wake up. Unplugging helps that too - if the worrisome stuff wasn't on my mind when I went to sleep because I unplugged, then I tend not to think of it in the middle of the night either. The other big thing that's helped me with sleeping through the night is that I found my optimal amount of sleep. It's 6 1/2 hours. If I get more sleep than that in a night, then the next night I don't sleep as well. If I get 6 1/2, I'm tired enough to fall right asleep and stay asleep all night. Make sense?

Sweet dreams tonight! :-)