Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011

Is it weird to say that as of midnight last night I felt a little weight off my shoulders? Like I made it to the end of a dark tunnel and I could see the sunshine? Yeah, it's weird. But that's how I felt. It's 2011. A new year. New possibilities. Looking forward.

I wanted to keep New Year's Eve low-key. I contemplated staying in and watching the ball drop (I can't remember the last time I did that!) but then realized alone on my couch wasn't how I wanted to begin the new year. I made loose plans to spend the night with my friend Alice and a couple of her friends -- we'd have drinks at her house in Philadelphia, then hop through a couple local bars, then make our way (just a few blocks) to the waterfront to watch the fireworks at midnight. Sounded like a perfect non-plan. I put on a fun outfit (don't mind the hair -- it wasn't done yet!) and headed out.
I got to Alice's where we started the night with some REALLY good champaign. This bottle was part of me closing a chapter.
After some drinks and some stops at a couple great little bars, we headed to the waterfront -- and without planning it, picked up a couple of friends on the way. It was awesome to stand with Alice and these other two friends, L and K -- they aren't my every day contacts, but they are good, solid friends -- and sip champaign and watch the arrival of 2011.
I had known all along that I'd probably head home after the fireworks. I drank water most of the night and wanted to feel good when I woke up this morning. I planned on meeting my sister for a long run and wanted to start the new year feeling ready for the fresh start. And I did just that.

I ran 11 miles this morning -- the longest run I've done since August -- and my leg felt pretty good. It was sunny and warmer this morning, and it was a solid way to start the day.

I'm putting away 2010 -- my Christmas decorations included -- today, and I'm looking forward to what's going to be a better year. It's going to be. I just know it.

3 comments:

Maggs said...

It'll be a great year! Happy New Year!

Jen Jones said...

Yay for 2011!

You're going to have a great year!

Charisa said...

What a great way to start the new year - a long run!!