Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Leaving my mark all over town

Ok, the real title of this post should be something like:

If I just could've barfed...  or
Spitting may not be lady-like, but it had to be done... or
Who eats salad for lunch before running???!!!

Ugh.  Ok, feel free to skip this post if you don't want to hear about some real running.  'Cause running isn't always easy, and sometimes it isn't lady-like, and certainly sometimes it isn't pretty.  And I'm not talking about legs feeling tired and cursing and hair getting messed up.

I'm talking about spitting, feeling like vomiting would make the whole thing better, and snot. 

Still with me?  Whoa. 

It was going to be a 40ish degree, sunny afternoon.  When I woke up early this morning I debated running before work, but I didn't have enough time to get the miles done that I wanted to, so I hopped on the bike trainer for a bit before getting in the shower.  Which meant a rush to get hair dry, clothes on, coffee and lunch scooped up, and out the door.  I threw some running stuff in a bag, figuring I'd get my run done at work before running errands on the way home.  I had made a big salad full of veggies for lunch last night and didn't have time to make a sandwich instead, so I convinced myself I'd have enough time -- 3 periods -- to digest before my run.  Should be fine.

Hmm.  Not so much.  While my legs felt fine, I fought the urge to throw up that salad by the end of mile 1.  By mile 2, my mouth was salivating and I started spitting to clear it out.  Only on grassy spots, and only when cars or people weren't around.  C'mon, I'm still a girl with some things! 

By mile 3 I really wondered if I should just cut the run short.  Spit more, feel ok for a second.  I stopped a couple times and thought, just puke!  It'll make it better!  But that didn't happen.  Run some more, spit some more.  Man, my legs feel fine and I just want this run to be over!  Agh!  The fight went on in my head -- keep going?  or cut it short?

By mile 5, I figured since I'd made it this far, I might as well add the loop that will get me to 7 total miles.  Wiping the snot from my nose, I started to giggle a little about all this. 

Mouth thick and full of spit,
Nose running from the cool temps,
Wanting to vomit,
I add more miles.

And then, I added one more. 

It was in my head to get an 8 miler done today, and despite how gross I felt, how much I'd spit all over town, (ok, yes, once that spit landed on my shoe.  gross. whatever.) and how much my nose was running, I got all 8 done. 

And I felt better as soon as I stopped. 

2 comments:

Maria said...

Way to power through, badass!! :P I've had those types of runs before and I can never puke but chipping away and completing the miles seems so much more satisfying afterwards.

Jen Jones said...

Running is far from a pretty sport. During workouts and races, I'm just gross (and I don't really care)!

Good job getting it done!