Thursday, February 26, 2009

Speedwork and mental games

I had speedwork on the schedule for today.

I don't mind speedwork -- I really don't. I haven't always felt this way, though. For a long time I never really understood intervals, never paid attention to pacing, had never run on a track.

Then I had a friend generously work out a marathon training plan for me, and it included speedwork. I was scared. Nervous. I even had to ask how it all works.

But I did it, and started to understand. Yes, there were times when I cursed my friend, times when I thought I might puke, and times when I just didn't think my legs would move that fast. But I did it, and I got better at it. I'm using many of those workouts in this training round.

I don't mind speedwork. But almost every time it's on my schedule, I think, can I do this? It's gonna hurt. My legs won't move that fast today. I don't know if I can...

And then I hit the road, run to the track, and do the speedwork. Of course I can do it, I remind myself. You've done it before. Of course you can do this.

By the time I'm mid-way through, I'm either thinking, ugh, this is rough, how much more 'till the recovery lap/mileage? OR, this isn't so bad.

Either way, I don't quit. Even when I want to.

I don't quit, because I know I can do it. I've done it before. I don't quit, because I know I feel accomplished and strong when I'm done.

I don't mind speedwork. But sometimes my mind makes me think I do.

3 comments:

Maggs said...

Speedwork is fun after you do it. But it makes a HUGE difference. After 2-3 sessions you'll be able to see a difference in all your runs.

FLATOUT JIM said...

When I do speedwork, I think "At least I don't have to run long"

When I run long, I think "At least I don't have to do speedwork"

Go Figure

Charisa said...

I like your "I don't mind speedword, but sometimes my mind makes me think I do" good way to put it!!