Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It shouldn't be this hard.

8 miles, I mean. It shouldn't be as tough to run 8 easy-paced miles as it was today. Ok, I chose a route that had some tough hills in it, but still...

From the moment I started, my feet hurt, I felt like I was doing a Biggest Loser workout where I'm dragging one of the trainers behind me, my body felt like it was encased in cement, my legs were heavy.

The weather was great -- 69*, cloudy and windy, but warm. I wore shorts and a light long sleeve shirt (and that was just because I knew I'd be running 'till the sun set and it would get cooler). The air was fresh; it was so nice to run outside today. Except it was hard. A sucky run.

I did attack the hills as I'd planned. Run easy through the miles, but attack the hills. I did that. And, at some point in the middle miles my pace got better, and the run felt easier. But overall it wasn't one to feel good about.

During my run, I was thinking about my friends. I have friends, in real-life and in computerland, who run waaay more than me. Some are triathletes -- Ironman competitors -- and some are ultra marathoners. I read/hear about all the miles run and the swimming done and the biking, the yoga, the spin classes, the weight training.

I know today's run was a fluke. But I can't help thinking my 8 miles shouldn't have been this hard.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Two simple thoughts:
1- Your body needed a break today.
2- You ran 8 miles more than I did.

So it sucked, and it was hard. If no run was ever tough, you'd be stagnant. But you, as always, got them done. That IS an accomplishment.

Wish I could have been out there with ya. :)

Charisa said...

I have runs like that all the time. You're not alone :) Good job on the run - next one will go better I'm sure!

Dan said...

i find that when the weather gets warm for the first time after so many months in the cold temperatures (even in the mid 60's) i'm a bit sluggish.

who am i kidding, i'm always a bit sluggish.

we all need a tough run every now an then. if they were all easy, we'd move on to something else.