Sunday, February 1, 2009

Decisions, decisions...

I’m stuck. Can’t figure out what I’m training for these days. I’ve been running 35-40 miles per weeks for the past 2 months or so (since a week or two of lower mileage after the HM in November). I’ve been doing one LR a week (longest was 15 miles last week), one mid-week longer run (usually 8 miles, easy pace), and 3 other runs that generally are about 5-6 miles run at an easy pace – although once a week I might run one of those tempo-style…

So here are the races I’m considering, with the pros and cons of each. I need a focus. It's part of me now, the training for a big race, and it's something that is good for me in my life. This is gonna be a long post, but I need to think these through…

(A) Glass City marathon. April 26, 2009. 12 weeks to race date.

Why I should run it:

  • Weather – last year the winds were strong and it actually snowed/rained a bit (I think I read that). This could happen again (not so alluring) OR it might not. Either way, I think I run better in the cooler weather, and I’m hoping the temps in Ohio would be better than the previous spring marathons I’ve run (those were cool-ish, but humid. Ugh.).
  • Course -- sounds like it’s a pretty flat/fast course. Mixed reviews on marathonguide.com about the scenic value, the road conditions, etc. I’m not sure that the course is a selling point, but the flat/fast part is appealing.
  • Timing – the timing of this race allows me to get some good training in, run the race, and then switch my focus to some more solid triathlon training for the late spring/summer tri season
  • Fun – many of my running friends have this on their calendar. It is shaping up to be a fun race weekend. A few are running the full, some may be doing the half, a bunch are doing the relay. I’ve enjoyed the Philly race meet-ups, the Madison weekend last year, and I think this one would be fun, too (although running a full on a weekend like this takes away from the fun a bit…)
  • A different challenge -- a new city, a solo effort -- maybe that's just what I need to run a strong race...

Why I shouldn’t run it:

  • Weather – if it ends up like last year, it could be a mess
  • Course – the issues of tight roads, potholes, etc, that have been brought up make it not so enticing. I don’t know anything about the area, so I can’t tell if it would be a scenic/interesting course or not. However, it would all be new to me, which would make it at least somewhat interesting…
  • Support – this would be a marathon run without my biggest supporters – my parents especially my dad, who has been a huge factor in my running) – in the crowds. Even if I know I’ll only have one chance to see them throughout the race, it has always been a boost. They likely wouldn’t be in Ohio. Nor would my sister. And my friends would all be running their own races. This would be a solo effort, as far as I can tell. I’m not sure that sounds too appealing in a 26.2 mile run, and it's something I've never done before.
  • Distractions – the fun aspect mentioned above. I get very quiet the day/evening/night before a marathon. I need the distraction – it helps calm my nerves – but I’m generally not very good company.
  • Speedwork – I don’t mind running outside in the cold. At all. But, running speedwork at the track will be tough this time of year. I don’t want to do speedwork on the TM, but it’s likely I may have to at point in the next 12 weeks. Interval speedwork on the TM is not appealing to me… I think this is the major reason I’m not pumped about putting in the training I would need to in order to run a 26.2 where I’m going after a PR…

(B) Glass City Half Marathon. April 26, 2009. 12 weeks to race date.

Why I should:

  • For the same reasons as the full, but also… it’s only a half. Maybe I should take a season off of running a marathon. Maybe I should just train for a HM and do more tri training through the winter this year.

Why I shouldn’t:

  • I’m not sure I would be satisfied focusing on a HM. I just got a 6+ minute PR on my half time in November… do I have to motivation to better that?


(C) Delaware Marathon. May 17, 2009. 15 weeks to race date.

Why I should run it:

  • Location – running DE would be close to home. My supporters would be there, and there’s no major travel to consider/factor in
  • Course – apparently, they’ve changed it from what it was last year. This year it’s two HM loops (or something like that – I’ll have to look at the site again). This, apparently, is a good move on their part, according to reviews I’ve read.
  • Timing – more time to train, AND I’d still have some time to switch to more tri-focused stuff for the summer/fall triathlon season
  • It’s a different race than the NJ marathon, which I’ve run the past two years. I was ready to kick butt at both, but had bad luck or something both times and did not feel well through the races – had to walk, even ended up in the med tent after my first one…
  • My sister is considering it. We ran well in the Philly HM together. Maybe running the full here with her would be a good thing.

Why I shouldn’t run it:

  • Location/Course – there still isn’t an elevation map (last I checked) or info on just how hilly this course might be. I ran a 10 mile race in DE last January, and there were significant climbs. Really. I’m not sure I’d want a 26.2 mile course with the climbs the 10 miler had…
  • Timing – if I do this one, I probably couldn’t go to Glass City. It’s 3 weeks after GC, so training plans would say that GC would be a 20-miler weekend…. I’d have to run the 20 out there (bandit the course but don’t cover all the miles? I’d have to figure that out – and I’d carry my own water).
  • My sister is considering it. Generally speaking, running races that my sister is running as well hasn’t worked out for me. Of the 4 distance races we’ve both run on the same day (with the agreement that we’d run our own races), only one has worked out ok for me – the HM. That ay we decided we’d run together and just see how the day goes – we weren’t worried about timing, although we knew we would like to better or match our PR. I’m not sure if I could do the full with her (she has a different running/pacing style than I do), and I’m not sure I could run another race where I’d be thinking the whole time whether she’s feeling stronger/doing better than me… I haven’t had the greatest luck on 26.2 race days…

The only other thing that’s been in my head is doing the NJ marathon again. I shouldn’t – I really shouldn’t. The past two years I’ve been ready to go, trained really well, and something happened on race day where my body rebelled. I ended up in the med tent after the first one (my first marathon) and ended up having terrible cramping in my legs and a bad earache in the second one. I feel like I should kick that course’s ass -- I know the course, it's a good one, fast and flat -- but I’m not sure I should go back there…

I should mention one other factor that's part of this: I'm not feeling confident about going after a PR. However, that might just be my own mental hurdle, a thought without basis, a by-product of the dreary, cold winter blahs...

So there are my considerations. I need to make a decision. Asap.

What say you? Any other suggestions? I'm open to other options, too!

9 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I love it! A list maker like me!

How about Delaware marathon and the half at Glass City, with 7 miles thrown in at the start to get your 20 miler in. Then you could go there and have fun with the 30s the night before and not worry about the race.

Seems like you need a break from NJ, to get your confidence back up.

Whatever you decide, it will work out!

Maria said...

Cindi and I are going to sound very different. I was thinking Glass City full and Broad St. 10M as a follow-up. One away race, one home race and the chance for two PRs.

librarianchick said...

I concur with Maria...but selfishly want you to go to Glass City because I will be there!

Maybe a change of place will help your marathon goals? Maybe NOT having your family there will help? I know for me, I actually prefer to go it alone...there is no pressure to perform in front of Rob. No one is waiting for me until the end and those waiting have already run their races (mostly).

Skipping NJ seems like a good idea though. Let it rest until you've done what you consider well somewhere else, and then return to it.

Charisa said...

Oh decisions are so hard! What about Cape May Marathon? When we lived in CT I always thought that one would be fun. My FAVORITE race in that area is the Wineglass marathon from Corning - Bath, NY. Soooo beautiful, but it's a fall race and you are probably looking for spring? :)

Joe said...

Even though I'm saying this from a selfish viewpoint (I'm going to be at GC as well), I was thinking something along the same as Maureen - a race like GC is something where there's no "pressure", so to speak.

In fact, whether you do the HM or the full, I think you should go in there relaxed without a general but not specific timegoal. My fastest times have come when I haven't had any expectations

Aimee said...

I understand the interest in doing a marathon all.by.yourself. However, I don't think that's something you'd be 100% comfortable with. I think NJ is something you still need to conquer, but I don't see the harm in waiting until next year. If you want to tackle it this year, though, I'll be there to support you. I have my brain wrapped around Delaware, and that's pretty much all it takes for me to decide to do it. I like all the details in your pros and cons, but when it comes down to it, don't think sooooo hard/much about it. Do you want to do a marathon? Forget how you feel today, this week. Can you wrap your brain around one? Decide to do one this spring. Period. THEN choose which one. Because once you wrap your brain around doing one, it won't matter so much WHICH one you do. When your brain is relaxed in the decision to cover the distance, your body will follow. Don't let the mental game take so much out of you physically..... I know, easier said than done. But give it a try. You will be successful in any one you choose.

Maggs said...

Wow, to have so many options is great. I can't help you with the decision. But I'm sure you'll kick butt at any of them.

Aimee said...

Have you decided? Have you decided? Have you decided? Huh? Huh? Huh? :) Just kidding.

KP said...

Well? Has there been a decision? People want to know!!!!!!