Monday, March 2, 2009

Mafia dates, feeling woozy, and a tv episode!

I've been running. And, I've been busy.

I did my first 20 miler of this training round this Saturday, after the date Friday night with the guy who, according to him, was caught laundering money for the mafia years ago and has been acting as a witness for the feds ever since -- while still remaining cool with the mafia guys. I know some people might not be ok with this, but I knew when you walked in the door I wanted to go out with you again and you'd need to know why I disappear for days at a time.

Right. Um, true or not, that's not a selling point to tell on a first date. No thanks.

Oh, and he's still cool with the mafia 'cause they kidnapped him twice but the feds never rescued him -- so that the mafia didn't find out he's working for the feds. See these scars on my wrist? That's from the knife the Russian mafia guys used that time.

No, really. That's what my date was on Friday.

So, the 20 miler was ok. Not the greatest. First half was fine, and I even thought, huh - only 15 to go... only 10 to go... etc. Then, by mile 14, I was ready for it to be over. My pace was generally where it should be, but it just felt harder than it should. By mile 17, I felt slightly woozy and walked for about 10 seconds. Cursed myself, gave myself a pep talk, pretended the Mafia date guy was chasing me (not really), and made my way home.

I really wondered why I was running another marathon this spring. I'm still wondering, but I'm still training, too. For now. More on that another time.

Got a last minute invite to attend a screening of a new tv sitcom pilot with a friend, and then stayed in the city for a yummy and fun dinner at a funky restaurant. We had a lot of fun laughing at my date stories from the night before. The people around us were entertained by the wacky stories, too. It's just too bad the cute bartender was way too young. And gay, I think. But super cute. He made a mean raspberry cosmo, though.

Sunday I set out for an easy 5 recovery-type miles. My left knee felt a little wonky, but this run ended up feeling better than the 20. Ok, systems reset...

I went to bed last night after a full weekend of running, wackiness, fun, and a phone call. From my boss. No work on Monday, big snow forecast. Rolled over and turned off the alarm.

10 comments:

Maggs said...

Wow, I thought I had funny date stories. Did you at least get a free meal out of it :-) And I've got one of those good looking, but too young, and gay guys too. Bummer.

Jen said...

So I'm in my local running store and the manager and I are talking. I start thinking-he's cute, nice (very shy), great shape-why doesn't he have a girlfriend? I'm going to suggest he join the mafia! Or just introduce you guys at the Adrenaline Run;) That was a CRAZY store-I loved it, lol!

Kris said...

oh wow, I wonder how many women have seen through that line of bull? And how many didn't?? At least you got a good story out of it, and a good rest of the weekend. :)

Christie said...

And that's why I don't like dating. I had a funny date story too, but yours is funnier than mine by far.

Maria said...

LOL!!! Maybe mafia boy could hook you up with some running shoes that "fell off the back of the truck"? :-)

phdatc said...

Oh dear goodness... that qualifies under the "life is stranger than fiction!" or maybe this guy's life IS fiction!

Charisa said...

You totally just made my day with the Mafia story- that is wayyyyy funny! And fun snowday!!!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

The life of a single woman! Filled with excitement!

Hopefully you met him at a restaurant and didn't have him pick you up to see where you live!

solarpowered said...

:D

RFTL - nope...met him at the place. He asked for my number and I told him no. I also drove around in circles when we left so he couldn't follow me home. :D

Antoinette said...

That date story is crazy!

Also, once you haven't done 20 (or any longer than normal distance really) in a bit, it's always a bit of a chore. At least that's what I've found.