Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"My philosophy on running is, I don't dwell on it, I do it."

JOAN SAMUELSON

I stopped at the running store yesterday. Mentioned to the guys that my running has been troubling lately. Paces are ok, but everything feels harder than it should, and I'm not as fast as I have been in the past.

The owner, my friend, said, "You think about it too much. Even when I gave you an easy plan, you didn't like it." (Which, I should add, is only partly true -- but for reasons I don't need to go into now.) His few words about my situation ended with, "You need to stop thinking so much about it."

Since I ran my first marathon, I've been consumed with the idea of getting better -- training harder, running more, racing to PR's. My second marathon was my PB to date. That's the one where I (for the most part) followed my running store friend's plan, which was worked around triathlon training and races that I just had to do that Fall... I also was lucky enough to have a friend -- someone who has BQ'd -- offer to pace me that day. I have run two marathons since then and two more LBI 18 milers since that first fast one, and I've run them all slower.

That Runner's World motivational quote showed up in my inbox today. Couldn't be a more appropriate message.

I need to stop thinking so much about it, and just run.

Now if I could just figure out how to do that...

2 comments:

KP said...

Just like Crash tells Nuke in Bull Durham: Don't think, it will only hurt the ball club.

and hey...I'm guilty of that too: too much planning, being too obsessive about the plan, etc, so if you figure it out let me know.

and by the way - I love that daily quote feature.

Maggs said...

Great quote. I need to remember that one...for a lot of things, not just running.