Monday, March 16, 2009

Running, away

Thursday afternoon I flew down to Florida and drove to the Keys for a short get-away. It was a quick 3 days, but well worth it. I was able to run away from work and home-life monotony and run in some warm weather and sunshine.

My dad rents the same house in Marathon, Florida every year -- and now it feels like our home away from home.

I arrived late Thursday night and was up and running early Friday morning. I got 5.5 miles done, progression-run style. Started with a 9:40 first mile and got faster through each, ending with an 8:19 last mile and a slow half-mile cool down. My body was definitely not used to the warmer temps, but it was great to run in a tank and shorts.

Got some good pool/sun time and played with my nephews, and then hit the beach just down the road for a short open water swim. Sombrero Beach is in a cool little cove just around the bend from the house.

Friday night we went to a friend's house for a BBQ dinner, some pool time, and fishing off their dock. Lots already packed into my short, little trip!

I woke up before sunrise Saturday morning so I could grab a bite to eat and be ready to run at first light. As soon as the sky broke, I headed out for my 16 miler. The first 8 miles went by easily. Legs felt fine, the sun was still trying to break through some early morning clouds, and I had planned a good route. By the time I hit mile 12, the sun was blazing. As I made my way back down US1 toward our road, I hit mile 13 and realized how high my heartrate was getting. I had been running at a comfortable, good pace, but with the sun now out in full force and my body getting overheated, I slowed myself down. Dad met me along the way and I grabbed a water bottle from him and dumped it over my head. At mile 14 I told him I'd see him at home and continued on my way. Even though the run was tough in those 82*, hot last 3 miles, I feel pretty good about this one. And I had the best post-run recovery trick: I stripped down to my sports bra and shorts and hopped right into the unheated pool! Instant ice bath :)

After enjoying the pool for a bit, we headed to the local seafood festival, got some more beach time, and went out for a sunset dinner on the water.

Sunday was a quick morning -- a short run, some brief beach time with my nephews, and then I was on the road back up to the airport. Although my flight was delayed, I eventually made it home safely late last night. A long day, but it capped off a short, fun-packed weekend. A mini-vacation that was well worth it.

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Sounds like a fabulous, and much needed, vacation!

Maria said...

What a breath of fresh air!!! I can feel it through your post - nice.

Charisa said...

mini-vacations are the best! Glad you got one :)

Dan said...

Ooooohhh, I could use me some southern sunshine right about now.
(feel the envy)

and, yeah, the pool story is useless w/out pix.

glad you had a chance to recharge a bit!