Monday, March 23, 2009

Learning what works

Yesterday's 20 miler provided me with some important realizations.

For the past 2.5 years, since I started really running, I've been reading, listening, experimenting, and learning a lot. At times I'll try something because it seems like a lot of people do it that way. Other times I'll try something because I think it's what I'm supposed to do. I'll see what faster people do, and I'll try it. I'll see what people do who have been running a lot longer, and I'll try it. I'll see what people who seem to have made great progress have done, and I'll try that.

Over the course of my (short) running lifetime, I've wanted to be faster, run stronger, do better. I've seen friends -- real and virtual -- accomplish things I wish I could do. And I dwell on why I haven't been able to. I compare training plans and try to figure out what I should be doing.

And all the while, I sometimes forget to listen to my body.

In mile 14 of my run yesterday, I wanted to quit. The run had been great up to that point. Legs felt fine, run was going well. Then I stopped to refill my water and less than a mile later, I didn't feel well. I was cold, had no energy, and convinced myself I shouldn't do these long runs anymore.

I took a gel. I adopted a new mantra.

Two things that changed the course of that 20 miler.
Two things that may change the course of my future long runs.

I've learned I need to fuel well, even during training runs. I'm fine on runs up to 15 miles or so, but anything over that, and I really need to pay attention to my fueling. My body needs it. When I run long and don't fuel smartly, the runs aren't good. Period.

Pain is fleeting, accomplishment is everlasting. Push beyond.
Pain is fleeting, accomplishment is everlasting. Push beyond.

Repeating those words, believing those thoughts, brought focus to my run yesterday. I got through that rough mile or so, the gel kicked in, and by mile 16 I was feeling good again. I decided to go an extra mile.

As I finished my 21 miles, I felt strong, I felt accomplished, I felt grateful for being able to push beyond those feelings of wanting to quit. I never stopped, I never walked, I kept running. My last 5 miles were my fastest miles, and I ended my run on a positive note.

More than 2.5 years after really starting my running, I'm still learning what works...

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I think the whole running thing is a never ending learning process. Look at the speedsters like Pacer who have been at it forever. Seems like even he is still learning and adapting and changing things up.

What works for some doesn't work for others. That was part of my hesitancy with taking a marathon training plan right from the books. I'm an even newer runner than you are and I could tell from looking at the plans, and from what little I do know, that some of the things in the plan just wouldn't work right for me.

Glad your 20+ miles went so well. You needed some positive encouragement before your marathon! (You are doing it, aren't you?)

Maggs said...

After running for over 20 years I'm still learning what works. And while I use mantras during races, I never seem to remember to during training runs. And I remember one long run where I didn't have enough fuel and I was miserable. I started to cry and someone gave me a gel and I felt sooo much better. I still laugh at that. Glad you ended on a positive note.

KP said...

No matter what keep in mind that any sort of training plan is an experiment with only one subject - you. Gotta find your way of doing it. Great job on the long run yesterday!

sneakersister said...

I think I learn something new on every run. Sometimes listening to myself is the toughest part of running vs. listening to the advice of others.

Nice job on that 21 miler! Really. Keep up that internal chatter. I think mantras can really get us through the rough spots. Sometimes mine are ridiculously silly, but they always work.

Charisa said...

Glad it ended well!! I've been running over 20 years and I still don't have it all figured out :) That's part of the fun of it - learning what works for YOU!