Thursday, December 11, 2008

"You're crazy"

I did not sleep last night. I was tired ALL day. It has been pouring rain since yesterday evening. The temp has dropped about 20* in 24 hours.

I could not wait to leave work and go for a run.

It was about 40* and raining buckets when I got home. I pulled my biggest running rain jacket out of the closet, threw on my capris and a couple shirts, my shoes, my hat, and my gloves, and headed out.

My jacket and capris were soaked within minutes.
My feet were soaked through within the first mile.
There were so many deep puddles, I had to run slowly to watch my footing.
The rain was strong through the first 3 miles, tapered to a light rain in mile 4, barely a drizzle by mile 5, and stopped shortly thereafter.

I wished it hadn't.

For an hour, I didn't care what I looked like.
For an hour, I didn't think of much besides my footing.
For an hour, I didn't care how slowly I was running.
For an hour, I enjoyed the raw nature around me.

I didn't run fast, I didn't run hard.
I didn't look at my watch.

I was soaked, I was invigorated, I enjoyed every step.

It was a great hour.

And to top it all off, a friend saw me running and sent me a message later that said, "I saw you running in the cold rain. You're crazy."

:D

3 comments:

Maggs said...

This post motivated me to go for a run. It's raining here and will be for 3 more days. But at least it's not (that) cold.

phdatc said...

I love those comments. The make me feel invigorated. I even like to looks on the faces of the drivers that I am carefully avoiding. Wonderful Solar.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I love it!

I got the "you're crazy" looks last year when it was 23 below zero with the windchill and I was out for 12 miles. :-)