Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hammonton Sprint Triathlon

I've been super busy this week, and every time I sit down at the computer I can't get focused enough to write up a report about this race.  It's a shame, because this was the first complete triathlon I've done in two summers, and there was a lot of good about it (and a little bit of wtf did I do?!)  Here's a brief recap:

I had a good race Saturday, relatively speaking... The swim has always been my most uncomfortable part, but I've been really working at that. It paid off! I positioned myself well and felt good the whole way. 7:08 split for the .25mi (or so they said it was). Definitely a strong swim for me. I never stopped, and I was one of the first people out of the water from my wave. I even passed a few people from the wave ahead of me. Woot!


My T1 is another story. This was the first tri where I had to deal with a wetsuit and it slowed my T1 time down a bit. I also took extra time cleaning my feet because of how much sand/muck/grass we ran over getting into transition. Looking at my T1 time, you'd think I sat and had lunch in there, too. Awful.

Then my bike leg was expectedly a bit slow. 12 miles in 41:43, or 17.3 avg MPH (for some reason, the official results are showing this as an 18.3mph.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here...). Anyway, I knew that would be slow -- I definitely need more biking time. T2 was MUCH better. Just :46.

My run was decent. While my Garmin read 2.91 mi/23:13 = 7:59 pace, the official results show my 23:12 time as a 7:44 pace (they advertised it as either a 3 mi or 5k run -- I forget which), so maybe my Garmin calculations of the distance were off? Whatever. It wasn't the best run leg, but I felt ok about it considering I haven't really done any actual brick workouts.

SO, overall it was a good day. I knew my T1 and bike leg would be my weakest, but for my first complete tri in 2 years, I'm ok with that. It was fun, and that's the point, right?

(Pictures are up on the website, but I can't snag them... so for now, no pics of the day)

3 comments:

Joe said...

Nice work Lora! I know you've been putting in the work, and it looks like it's paying off for you.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You are back at it and strong now! I love to see you having fun and your paces coming down. Nice job!

Paul said...

Congrats! Someday I would like to do a tri...scared of all the gear and transitions though.

We await pics with comments!

(Don't wait too long to write it up..gets harder to remember...)