Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A SNORKLE?!

I went to the salt water pool today. My PT had said I could run yesterday and today before seeing her again tomorrow, but I knew 3 days in a row of running was enough. Yes, the running was only 10 minutes or so, but it was 3 days in a row. Smarter thing to do is not run today, so I swam instead.

Got to the pool, took the last lane available against the wall, and scoped out who I was sharing the pool with. Two older ladies swimming nice and slow, and an older guy -- also swimming nice and slow.

But wait! What's that? Is he really? Is that? Seriously?!


He's swimming laps with a snorkle?!!!

Hilarious! Intriguing! Brilliant?

I'd never heard of this... someone actually swimming laps with a snorkle. I guess it makes sense -- swimming long, you exert more energy by having to turn to breathe. Fascinating idea.

But not one I think I need to try. As intriguing as it seems, and as efficient as it must be, I'll have to swim my tri's without one (right? Is there a rule about this?) so I'll stick to practicing without one.



***Hold on. I just googled this. Apparently, swim training with a snorkle is akin to altitude training for runners (when used with some cap???). It forces the lungs to work harder and increases lung capacity. Huh. Maybe it really is something to consider!

2 comments:

Maggs said...

haha. I doubt the 'altitude' training effect, only because you aren't getting a lot of air when you swim anyway, and a snorkel allows you to take more breaths, so you probably get the same amount of oxygen. But my coach had me try one (but it came out the front of my face) so I could see my hand in the water. It was awful. I kept wanting to turn my head to breathe instead. And there are some races where it's allowed. Some people use them because of bad necks etc. If you really want one, I'll send you mine ;-)

Charisa said...

I've never done the snorkel thing either - except when looking at fishies :)