Monday, November 1, 2010

Back to MCM

My mom, sister and I travelled to Washington, DC this weekend for the Marine Corps Marathon. I didn't run it. My sister did.

I loved this race in 2008. I didn't race it -- I ran it slowly with a friend to simply enjoy the day, so I don't consider this one when I talk about trying to break that 4 hour mark. For me, MCM wasn't about my time.

This year, I registered for MCM when my sister said she wanted to run it. Then my leg got all pissy and I transfered my bib to a customer at the running store. I knew I'd travel to DC to support and cheer on my sister, but I also knew that would be tough.

After a slightly uncomfortable train ride and a trip to the expo, we eventually walked our way from our hotel room, across the Key Bridge, into Georgetown, to a restaurant called Clyde's. The food was fantastic, and the glass of wine I had was greatly needed. I was so disappointed to not be running! To make up for it, I ate a ton of delicious food and almost licked the last drop of wine out of my glass. We marvelled at that evening's sunset, and went to bed early.
After much tossing and turning -- both for the mental frustrations of the weekend AND the roll-away mattress that felt like a box-spring -- I awoke, dressed, and we headed out. My back was hurting, and my feet would hurt by the end of the day, but at least it would be a crisp, sunny, fall day to enjoy being outside.

The weather was perfect (of course). Cool at the start (about 48*) and only heading up to about 58* by the finish. Sunny, clear skies. Perfect. Something I can't seem to ever experience.

We walked to the start and had plenty of time to kill. (We weren't sure how long of a walk it would be.) Eventually, though, the corrals filled and we wished A luck and made our way to the hilltop to watch the thousands of runners await the start.

I got teary as the cannon signaled the runners to begin their journey. This was so hard to watch and not be a part of! I wanted my sister to have a good day, but I was depressed that I couldn't take advantage of great weather at a marathon for a change. I wiped the tears, clapped my hands, and tried not to be so focused on what I can't seem to do.
My mom and I walked over the Arlington Cemetery Bridge and took in the sights, and then planted ourselves to await the runners.
We found my sister around the 10 mile mark and again at 16, and both times she looked good. And despite finding ourselves at the perfect spot on the hill up to the finish at the Iwo Jima memorial, we missed her.

Grr. While we were now, at the 4:10 mark, thinking she was having a rough day and hadn't finished yet, she was weaving her way through the finish area, over to the beer garden and the free phones. My cell rang, and it was her. "Where are you? What time did you finish?" I asked.

"3:51 something," she replied. "Meet me at the beer garden."

My mom and I were frustrated that we never saw her at the finish. We were right there! But now we had to make our way through the monster crowds to find her. As we did, I took it all in -- the memories of my day there, the frustrations of my own 26.2 races, the great luck my sister seems to have with her races (the weather, a better finish at this MCM, etc), the second sub-4 marathon she's run, my recent return to running and hoping my leg continues to get and stay strong. All of it.

This was a difficult weekend -- physically and emotionally. It was nice to spend time with my mom and sister, and I am happy for my sister that she had a good day. Somehow she fits it all in and has great success. But I was drained by Sunday afternoon. It was a tough return to the Marine Corps Marathon. I couldn't wait to get home.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I knew it was hard for you. Thanks for being there. You deserve a great run, and you'll have it. I can't wait to be there to see it.

BTW I wrote a sort-of race report tonight, as well. Not published anywhere, but I can email it to you. Let me know if you want to read it, or I understand if you would rather not.

Charisa said...

Definitely hard to be sidelined & at an event when you would rather be competing. Hang in there it will get better!!