Monday, April 27, 2009

The brief report

Nerves quieting as I started the race (a little late -- more later on that), I went out there and ran. And quickly I noticed how high my HR was, and how quickly the high temps and hot sun were sucking the life outta my legs. By mile 4 we were running directly into the strong winds.

By the time I hit mile 8, I wasn't having fun.

I stepped off the course at mile 15.5 and went right up to a race official and asked for a ride back to the start/finish.

A weight was lifted off my shoulders.

It was hard -- getting my first DNF -- but it was the right decision, for several reasons.

I'll write a looooooooooooong report later. There's a lot more to say about my fun weekend with my friends in Ohio...

4 comments:

Maggs said...

You learn the most from the hardest races. Rest up and recover...there will be a lot more marathons.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I was thinking about you many, many times during my 19 mile run Sunday morning. I would randomly say out loud "Go Lora Go. You can do it". I had no idea the heat and sun was that bad. When I got home and saw the temp, I felt so horrible for all of you. I am very glad you didn't hang in just to hang in, and risk hurting yourself or taking more out of yourself than you needed to just to finish. You did the smart thing to pull out under those conditions. There will be other marathons.

Do you have enough in you to attempt another one in the next couple weeks since you are in top shape now? Maybe revenge on that NJ one? Or wait 8 weeks and come and do Grandma's!

Charisa said...

Many more marathons to come and you made the right decision - I heard it was just terribly hot!

Dan said...

dunno what to say

((lora))