Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's (un)official.

I'm a little off.

I kept meaning to write a more detailed post about the slog-fest that was the Glass City marathon DNF of last Sunday, but I just couldn't figure out what to say. My pre-race nerves were on high-alert, my nervousness about the heat came to fruition, and although stepping off the course at 15.5 was like a weight off my shoulders, I felt all week like I had unfinished business.

I looked into registering for the Delaware Marathon in 2 weeks. Closed out.
I even considered registering for NJ (this weekend), but it was also closed out.

I needed to finish my spring marathon. My training had no closure.

I have too many commitments next weekend. I would be cheering on my friends at the Broad Street Run in Philly today. I didn't want to wait for weeks from now, because I'd have to rework more training...

So Friday I drove to the shore. I didn't tell anyone what I was thinking. I didn't say anything more than I planned on waking up in the morning and running until I stop, but my dad got the hint.

Years ago, he had a score to settle with the marathon distance and ran his own on Long Beach Island. Yesterday morning, I did the same.

Woke up at 5, ate my normal pre-race breakfast, and felt calm. No pre-race jitters, no nervousness. I didn't know how my legs would handle 26.2 miles just 6 days after the beating they took at Glass City (they were sore until Wednesday!), but I had to do this. While I wanted to feel good about my time, I didn't put any expectations on myself. I knew my legs weren't in top shape, so I just hoped to cover the distance and feel good about the run.

I left a note for my parents and slipped out of the house for a 7am sharp start. Just like a real race. I headed south for the first half of my first 12 mile loop. At the turn-around, I decided to go one more mile, so by the time I got back past the house, I'd have run 14 already. I passed my sister-in-law and two neices walking their dog at the turn around and yelled, I can't stop! I might be running a marathon right now! My SIL watched me, took a second to think about what I just said, and started yelling Go Lora Go! The little girls joined in. My only true crowd support the whole day! Sweet! My pace was good, I was feeling good. I kept going.

I figured my dad would try to find me at some point in the middle of that first loop, but he apparently couldn't find me. I felt bad that I didn't see him -- I watched his truck cross the street about 6 blocks ahead of me at one point, but we never crossed paths. I felt bad, but I was feeling pretty good, so I didn't dwell on it. I would end up running most of this race without an ipod, or water/aid stations, or any real crowd support.

When I got back to my parents' block, I uncapped my water, ran into the house, filled my bottle, and yelled to my mom that I was going to keep going. I ran back out the door, completing a less-than-60-second water station stop.

I threw an extra mile loop north in, and then headed back south to do almost the same loop as the first -- but a bit shorter. My dad finally found me around mile 15.5, and asked how I was feeling. I told him I was tired, but ok. I was on a good pace -- probably looking at just two minutes or so slower than my PR.

Less than a mile later, my legs would remind me they were still worked from last weekend. By mile 17, they were hurting. I kept telling myself, just slow down a little. No stopping until you hit the store and refill the water for the last half of the loop home. (My family's store would be right there after I turned around at about mile 21 to head home to the finish line.)

Around mile 19 I got a weird pain in my lower left side. Not a cramp, really, but it doubled me over. I had to stop short and walk for about 30 seconds to catch my breath. After that, I was ok and started running again. I got to the turn-around, stopped for another super-quick water pit stop at the store, and was excited to think I only had 5 miles to go to the finish. I've run these 5 miles home a bazillion times. No big deal.

Up to this point, I had been taking my strips and taking my gels and all that seemed to be working. I didn't feel woozy at all (for a change!) and other than my legs feeling completely shot, I was doing well. This is what I needed. This is what I need to remember for the future. I knew if I had stronger legs on this day, I'd be running a strong race.

When I made the turn up to the ocean road for the last 2.2 miles to home, I was psyched. I smiled at a little kid on a bike. I smelled the ocean. I giggled at the fact that just now it was starting to rain. Whatever -- I was almost done a marathon. Let it rain.

I had to stop to walk out the tightness in my legs for a block or so twice in those last 5 miles, and overall my pace in those last 10 miles slowed considerably. Even so, I knew I would be finishing in a time that was faster than my slowest marathon, so I was happy. It really wasn't about the time. It was about finishing unfinished business.

At mile 25.5 I started to feel overcome with emotion. Other than Marine Corps, which I didn't race, it's been so long since I've run a long distance race or a marathon where I didn't feel sick, or woozy, or defeated.

At mile 26, a block before my parents' house, my dad pulled up next to me in his truck. How are you? he asked. I've got .3 to go, I told him. And smiled. I handed him my water bottle and I sprinted past the house to the finish line a few blocks north. When I crossed the 26.2 mile mark, I stopped, bent over and touched the street, and stopped my watch. 4:18:04. Smack in the middle of my 4 other marathon times.

Years ago when my dad did his LBI marathon, a friend had a plaque made for him. He had given me the plaque after one of my frustrating marathons, and said maybe someday I'd just get up and run my own marathon.

I didn't run my LBI marathon as fast as my dad did, but I ran it.

It's unofficial, but it's worth it. It's not fast, but it's worth it.

I did it by myself, and it was worth it.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

VERY cool. :) SOOOO important that you feel good mentally about your "race." Yay! What's next? :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Good for you!! Glad all that training paid off in the end. Now recover well!

Moe from MA said...

Just wanted to extend my congratulations on overcoming your marathon DNF. I've been reading your blog for a while and swear it resonates in my own running life!

Keep running! And keep blogging so the rest of us don't feel so crazy!!

KP said...

You may have been out there without any one else, but you weren't alone. Glad you exorcised that DNF.

Charisa said...

Oh I absolutely love it. And your father sounds so wonderful to come out and see how your race is going, etc. Congrats on an awesome race - you should be so proud of yourself!!! I am proud of you! :)

Kris said...

This is the best race report ever. :)

Congratulations!

Dan said...

remind me to high five and then hug you next time.
nice job. i don't think i could swing a solo 26.2 miler.

Frankie said...

Great job Lora ( yeah im a little slow on reading blogs latley ) Remind me to buy you a blonde all the next time I see you!