Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

For the first time since 1638, a total lunar eclipse coincided with the winter solstice. The position was perfect for North America viewing, and the clear skies we were forecasted to have would make it easy to see. Since I haven't been sleeping well anyway, I snapped a picture of the bright, shining, full moon, and then went to bed telling myself I'd like to wake up watch the eclipse.
I woke up on my own at about 2:30am and went out on my deck. The moon was partially shadowed at that point, so I snapped a pic and then went inside and settled myself onto my sofa where I had a perfect view.
I watched the moon become fully shadowed until it was a red, soft-glowing version of the earlier full moon. I went outside and tried to snap another pic, but my camera wouldn't show it. Here's what it looked like at that point:
(from mashable.com)
I settled back on the sofa for a bit, but the moon stayed shadowed long enough that by 3:40ish I knew I needed to get some more sleep before my alarm woke me for work at 5:25am. Though I had really wanted to see it unveil, I headed up to bed. When my alarm woke me a short time later, the moon was back to its full, shining, glow.

What a cool thing to see. A once in a lifetime thing, actually. Though we won't have to wait hundreds of years for another total lunar eclipse on the winter solstice, the next one, according to NASA, won't happen again until 2094.

5 comments:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

WOW!! That is so so awesome, great pics! You are a twin? That is so cool and no I didn't get your email:(

Charisa said...

I LOVE that you saw this!! It was raining here. Have a great Christmas!

Mindi said...

Wow - those pictures are amazing. I wish I could have seen it, but we were having a snow storm and there was no moon in sight. :(

DuckGeek said...

During the Epic Relay from Portland to Eugene last summer we experience a full lunar eclipse at 3 am. It was perfect conditions for viewing like you had with this one.

Dan said...

these are the first pictures i have seen. thanks!