Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas at the beach

Christmas day was crisp and clear. I snuck out for an 8 miler between gift-opening sessions. It was a long day, but good family time. The next morning, as I ran 5 miles, the snow began to fall. After my run I snapped a few pics that show just an inch or so of snow on the yard and on the beach:

Overnight, however, the snow fell like crazy. The 30+mph winds created drifts that were chest high in some places, and the plowing that was done would lock us into place:


This is the same front yard as the first pic. See the top of the little Christmas tree?



After a LOT of back-breaking shoveling, and some help from some boys that drove by, I was able to eventually get my car out. My dad's truck, however, will be buried for a while. (See it to the left of my car?) My mom's car was across the street in a friend's driveway, so we dug her out, too.


With my car out, a path dug to the front door and back, and my mom's car now able to be driven, I felt ok to head home. I cautioned my parents to not try to drive anywhere because the plowing didn't really clear the roads. As I headed home, I would see just how bad the roads were.

This is the ocean road in front of my parents' house. I am looking south, with the ocean on the left of the picture just over those dunes.

I was able to eventually get my 4-wheel drive Jeep through the ocean road and down to the main boulevard, which looked like this:

It was a crazy drive off the island. It's a good thing the temps are warming up this week -- they're going to need all the help with snow removal that they can get!

3 comments:

Maggs said...

I think it's weird seeing snow at the beach. I hope you had a good Christmas!

Dan said...

cool stuff. almost looks like you can sled right into the ocean.
how about cross country skiing on the beach? ever try that?

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

AHHHH!!! So much snow, I can't believe it. I was complaining about all the rain today and now I feel bad ha! Stay warm and drink lots of hot chocolate!